Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all, I think this is a case of me seriously overlooking something simple but for the life of me I can’t figure out what. I replaced pads and rotors in the front I think in late December since my rotors were warped pretty badly, got Brembo pads and Duralast rotors. About two months into having them on the car they started getting pretty squeaky, and about a week after they started squeaking real bad I’d get a fairly audible groaning when coming to a stop, stopping power was reduced considerably and the wheels were pretty much black. I pulled everything apart thinking maybe I just hadn’t properly bedded in the new pads and had accumulated too much brake dust between the pads and rotor and cleaned off the pads and rotors all around. I bled the fluid while I was down there since it looked a bit cloudy - Pontiac requires a weird order for this car - cleaned off the wheels so I could keep an eye on the dust accumulation, and went out to bed them in. They seemed fine after being cleaned off, braking power was increased, followed the bed-in procedure again, and they didn’t squeak for another two weeks. Fast forward to today, not only do they squeak again, but they groan, the stopping power sucks, and there’s a bunch of brake dust on the front wheels again. To add to it, the rotors look pretty scored, though not warped. I’m not sure if it’s a case of bad rotors, bad pads, or something else. I should mention that the groaning only occurs when slowing down - if you’re stopped and press on the brakes real hard, there’s no groan, so I don’t think it’s a system thing. In hindsight, I probably should’ve gotten Brembo rotors as well, but it was something like an extra $30 a rotor (I bought rotors and pads all around cause I thought the backs were bad too - they aren’t, they’re fairly new in fact) and I was pretty tight on money at the time, so I figured getting the better pads would compensate well enough.

To shorten it, squeaky, groaning, super dusty brakes got better after cleaning, bleeding and rebedding, but reverted two weeks after and I’m not specifically certain what part is bad. Any ideas? I can almost feel how badly I’m gonna get roasted for not getting better rotors too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts