Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone else was getting for gas milage with their G6 GTP's?

I have a 2 door automatic GTP and i get about 18 in the city and 22 highway.

i have only filled my tank up 3 times and each time i put in just over 15 gallons and the trip reads 285-295 miles. overal im getting just under 20 mpg.

I have also been messing around with the info center. When crusing at a speed i reset it and drive for about ten min.

at 80 mph it reads 21.5 mpg
at 70 mph it reads 24.0 mpg
and 60-65 it reads 26-27 mpg

Of course the the readings go way down when i start city driving again.

Thanks.

· Registered
77 Posts
Man, I'm glad my numbers aren't that bad.

I haven't reset my counter and I have 5555 miles. It shows 25.5 mpg. I drive 90% highway and I don't baby it. The highway driving I'm doing is through mountains so it's not all set the cruise control and go. If you did flat interstate I wouldn't think 29-30mpg was impossible.

· Registered
4 Posts
Great gas mileage

I have only had mine for 3600 miles but, I am getting around 21 around town (shifting around 2k rpm) and I just got back from a 1400+ mile trip at a average of 76 miles an hour and got no less than 26mpg. I LOVE MY G6!
My last car was an f150 4x4 getting 12-15.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MP2 said:
Man, I'm glad my numbers aren't that bad.

I haven't reset my counter and I have 5555 miles. It shows 25.5 mpg. I drive 90% highway and I don't baby it. The highway driving I'm doing is through mountains so it's not all set the cruise control and go. If you did flat interstate I wouldn't think 29-30mpg was impossible.
Is yours a 6 speed or an auto?

· Registered
3 Posts
I've had my GT coupe for about a week now...when we bought it the gas meter read somthing like 19.8 MPG....now its down to 18.1, which is less than what some GTP users are getting :(. I'll try resetting the meter myself, see if that brings it up.

Does cold weather affect gas mileage? I live in Atlantic Canada and the below-freezing temperatures are starting to set in now.

· Registered
105 Posts
CommanderAlteen said:
I've had my GT coupe for about a week now...when we bought it the gas meter read somthing like 19.8 MPG....now its down to 18.1, which is less than what some GTP users are getting :(. I'll try resetting the meter myself, see if that brings it up.

Does cold weather affect gas mileage? I live in Atlantic Canada and the below-freezing temperatures are starting to set in now.

Yep. It kills my mileage. My Grand Am went down about 9mpg in the coldest and snowiest part of winter! Drove on a 200 mile trip this weekend, about 20 degrees and some snow and freezing rain, and only got 27.3. This was with 4 people and bags in the car but still. I've gotten 37mpg in the summer on a trip by myself before so there is definately a difference. Cold air = denser air = more fuel burned. Plus snow and slush increase friction which = more gas. And I live in Indiana so you might see a bigger difference.

· Registered
72 Posts
My '06 GTP coupe w/ auto is getting about 25 mpg average. I was able to get just under 29 the other day on a 160 mile trip on the turnpike w/ cruise set at 70 . I've got just over 3700 miles on it so far. I saw an improvement of almost 2 mpg by raising the tire pressure up to 35. They were originally at 32. Rides a little stiffer as a penalty, especially over the expansion joints.

· Registered
3 Posts
Premium Gas??

Are most people using regular gas when recording these mileages? I'm no expert but I've heard that Premium gas can increase gas mileage by making the engine more efficient or something. I just topped mine up with premium to try it out, it only cost me $3 CAD more.

· Registered
107 Posts
CommanderAlteen said:
Are most people using regular gas when recording these mileages? I'm no expert but I've heard that Premium gas can increase gas mileage by making the engine more efficient or something. I just topped mine up with premium to try it out, it only cost me $3 CAD more.
The recommended fuel for the G6 is regular. Therefore, putting plus or premium in the tank won't do anything for it. It's not going to hurt anything, but it's not going to be less wear on your engine or better mileage or anything else. You shouldn't see any benefit from putting premium in your tank.

· Registered
2 Posts
The recommended fuel for the G6 is regular. Therefore, putting plus or premium in the tank won't do anything for it. It's not going to hurt anything, but it's not going to be less wear on your engine or better mileage or anything else. You shouldn't see any benefit from putting premium in your tank.
Actualllyyy, thats not quite true. Its almost a guarantee that with using premium, your engine will be running at least more efficiently(if not 1-3.5% better then with using regular). And even if you don't gain much milage, its "healthier" and prolongs the engine life. I normally use regular on my '08 G6 sedan(2.4l) and i get on average 23.4 mpg city and highway. Highway alone gets me about 27-33 mpg and i love it(and thats including gunnin' it every now 'n then). When doing just a half tank of premium and regular, my mpg jumps about 2-5(meaning if i only drove highway with few stops, i would be getting 34-38). :p i love that carrr.

· Registered
2 Posts
I currently have a 2-door GTP 3.9L 6-Speed Manual and get around 22-24 mpg (mostly city).............That said, my former G6 GT 4-Door Sedan with a 4-Speed Automatic and 3.5L V-6 easily did 26-27 mpg? :confused:
So whats the problem? A manual usually gets better gas milage(that is, if you don't gun at it as much since it is a stick), but you gained .4L of an engine, so that would decrease your milage rather then increase it. The biggest thing i could see that differs from your 2 cars is that the present one has a bigger engine. If they make a 4-cylinder GTP(probably a 2.4l), manual or automatic, i bet you it gets almost 30 mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.