Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put winter rubber on their GTP Sedan?

If you have, what is the:
1. Bolt Pattern
2. Offset
3. Size

Thanks.
RB

·
Registered
132 Posts
rwbooth said:
Has anyone put winter rubber on their GTP Sedan?

If you have, what is the:
1. Bolt Pattern
2. Offset
3. Size

Thanks.
RB
:confused: Perhaps your question is best answered like this:

Bolt pattern is (and always should be) 5x110mm
Offset should be around +40mm (staying at or under 8" wide wheel)
Size should be around 27" tall.

Though if you are only talking rubber (not new wheels) then the size needs to be an 18" tire that is about 27" tall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miscreant,

I'm going to the tire store tomorrow to play with wheel sizes. I think I am going to get the Michelin PA2's 225 60 r 16 rubber but have to do some work on finding a rim that will fit.
That is a round figure - there might be slight mods to that spec.

I'll let you know.

RB

p.s. do you have to deal with winter where you are? How's the coupe (in general and in the snow)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
rwbooth said:
Thanks Miscreant,

I'm going to the tire store tomorrow to play with wheel sizes. I think I am going to get the Michelin PA2's 225 60 r 16 rubber but have to do some work on finding a rim that will fit.
That is a round figure - there might be slight mods to that spec.

I'll let you know.

RB

p.s. do you have to deal with winter where you are? How's the coupe (in general and in the snow)?
225/60R16 is okay, but a tad on the short side, and a tad on the wide side for winter. You want narrow tires for winter. I'd recommend, for the GTP's 27" requirement, the 215/65R16 tire. However, Ive been unable to find confirmed results of putting 16" wheels on the GT or GTP. For instance, when you select a G6 Sedan on tirerack, it gives you 16" wheel options. However, selecting the G6 GT Sedan gives you only 17" and higher wheel options. The GT and GTP feature larger front brake rotors which may prevent certain (or all) 16" wheels from fitting. Either way, I can't get a straight call on that one.

IMHO, the best package out right now (since I've been looking just a little - might brave my first Lake-effect Cleveland snow with the LS2s just to see really how bad they are) is on tirerack.com - 17" SportEdition F2s with 215/60R17 Michelin XIce tires. Comes to around $732 plus shipping. The 5x110mm bolt pattern is rather rare, so finding wheels is more difficult.

·
Registered
132 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
Let me know what kind of tires you get, because the stock ones on my GTP aren't really that great. In the rain I don't get much traction when accelerating and turning.

Mike
Mike, keeping the stock wheels, at this time, only limits us to Eagle LS2s or Bridgestone Potenza RE050As. Pirelli does make a 225/50R18 PZero NERO (not M&S) in a couple other countries, but it's not available to the US. You can get the Nero in 215/50R18 (slightly shorter and narrower), but it again is not M&S, but summer only. Now you can go wider to 235/50R18, but then you're getting even taller, but you are also opening up more selection of tires. Anything wider than that is not recommended for our 7" wide wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am in need of new tires. I've got well scrubbed out Good Year Eagle LS2s at 36K miles on my GTP (225/50x18). Anyone got experience of running a more popular size on standard rims? The standard size of tires are pricey and the choice is pretty limited. Oh and I need all season M+S as the winters here get pretty interesting! Thanks for any advice, Mike.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I haven't had a chance to change the first set of tires yet, sorry I can't help.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
225 55 R 17's are the same size as 225 60 16's in case anyone wants to step up to 17's, I have 225 50 R18's on my G6 can't wait to buy tires for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts