Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought a 2006 GTP about a month ago and the only issue I've really had is with the driver side weather stripping. But I just got my front brake pads replaced and I was expecting them to have hard stops but they seem to brake soft. Is this normal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
by "soft" do you mean it doesn't seem to actually "Bite" and slow you down quickly? I noticed this with my car, when I test-drove it in '06 it was a used '05 with 27K miles on but I guess must have JUST had the rotors/pads replaced as it stopped DEAD. After a few thousand miles of my driving (really effin aggressive) they softened up I guess as you put it. I'm looking into getting new rotors with new ceramic pads to try and fix this as I like and NEED my car to STOP when I need it to as I do a lot of driving through NYC and Long Island and we all know how much people love cutting you off ;).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Soft as in a squishy/spongey pedal or soft as in braking slower than you think it should be?

If its soft as in squishy then you may need to bleed your brake lines.

If its a "slow stop" than you would think then you have cheapo pads.
(i bought two sets of pads one was the cheap ones and they went soft. then i returned them and bought the duralast gold pads and they work real good and nice and sticky. Its been about 5-6,000 miles now...plus they come with the LTW Costs about $50 bucks i think w/ grease):D

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as I know, my brakes have never been bled since i've bought my car. You think it would be a wise idea to have it done when I have my new rotors + pads put on?

·
Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
As far as I know, my brakes have never been bled since i've bought my car. You think it would be a wise idea to have it done when I have my new rotors + pads put on?
I wouldn't ever fool around with bleeding brake lines unless I had to. Its highly unlikely that there is air in the brake line if its still stock or has never been messed with. IMO, seraphim11 had a shop replace his/her pads with low to medium grade pads or the shop didn't turn the rotors. A question I have about the original post is, the soft braking, is it soft for the first few miles? Low quality pads will work fine after they get up to the proper temperature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I had the dealer replace them. They resurfaced the rotors and then threw new pads on. The back they resurfaced also because they said the pads were fine (under warranty). Apparenty warped rotors is a problem with this car.

When I mean soft, I mean I brake and it takes longer than I expect to come to a stop. I had a 96 Honda before this and when I replaced them, they were really tight, hard stops. I had a friend of mine drive it around they said it was biting and should be fine. Some cars are different than others and it could also be that I'm half way through with the back so the combination of the 2 keep me from feeling the newness of the front.

·
Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Actually, I had the dealer replace them. They resurfaced the rotors and then threw new pads on. The back they resurfaced also because they said the pads were fine (under warranty). Apparenty warped rotors is a problem with this car.

When I mean soft, I mean I brake and it takes longer than I expect to come to a stop. I had a 96 Honda before this and when I replaced them, they were really tight, hard stops. I had a friend of mine drive it around they said it was biting and should be fine. Some cars are different than others and it could also be that I'm half way through with the back so the combination of the 2 keep me from feeling the newness of the front.
My guess is the pads, perhaps they're not the same type as stock. Who knows? You could ask the dealership what name pad they use, then try to find out what the G6 came stock with. I doubt it will be the same pad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is the pads, perhaps they're not the same type as stock. Who knows? You could ask the dealership what name pad they use, then try to find out what the G6 came stock with. I doubt it will be the same pad.
He told me they were stock GM pads but I'll ask him..have to go back anyway bc they are replacing the weather strip for me. Have you had any luck with mudguards or are they just not necessary? I've heard there are some rubbing issues which I can see as possible. But since I have some extra 3M film, I may just use that instead.

·
Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
He told me they were stock GM pads but I'll ask him..have to go back anyway bc they are replacing the weather strip for me. Have you had any luck with mudguards or are they just not necessary? I've heard there are some rubbing issues which I can see as possible. But since I have some extra 3M film, I may just use that instead.
I haven't heard of rubbing issues.:confused:
I plan to get some mud guards within the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.