Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2007 Pontaic G6. My family joked around since I got the car because it was shipped off the line on a friday. Now I believe them. =[

Listen to my current problems:

Clinking noise coming from the engine...nowhere else, just the engine. When I turn off the car...it's perfectly fine. Whenever I turn it on...it clinks...(this is when I get back from driving it.) It's very loud and I thought I had an idea of what it was and I was proven wrong. It happens whenever you rev the car's engine...which should be happening because it's a motor....there suppose to be built for that. Been babying my car ever since...but it only got worse. *Note: Kept it under 2 RPM whenever acclerating or driving.

Previous problems: *Laugh if you want...it's horrible...

Hit a pot hole not even 25 mph...4 DAYS after I got the car...busted both side rims, had to get them replaced.

*Here comes the chain effect that my dealership just couldn't tell me...

Wheel Ball joint broke: Massive vibrating of the car
Wheel Bearing broke: Loud humming noise from tire

Some juvenile kids decided to throw a brick through both back windows

Both back windows replaced----> Windows started to fall down...literally...took car back to dealership..found out the pins were missing...they put em in...*here's another funny thing* Technician didn't push the pin all the way in...pin falls and gets lost somewhere...windows fall again. Replaced the pin again. Rolled windows up and they get jammed. So I just kept them there. Got the driver side window finally fixed and operational...then go to find out someone tried to bust in the car and pretty much tore up the regulator...end up locking back windows and never unrolling them again.

Oh there's more. Haha

Back bumper replaced: $500

Front end collision *Wasn't my fault*: $4,000

Now I may have to replace the engine...who knows how much that will cost...is the car even worth keeping -.-' I love the G6 and how it looks...but this is getting seriously out of hand.

· ;)
386 Posts
Damb sounds rough. well atleast you got a good story out of it. if its easy enough to get a diff g6 for you than i would probably look into it. it sounds like the only problem the car caused was the engine clinking. all the others were man made. Is the car under warranty to get the engine fixed?

· Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,100 Posts
Just curious, how do you know it rolled off the line on a Friday? I'll go out and check but IIRC the build sticker only shows month and year.

And like filian said, sounds like the car itself isn't the problem in most instances :axechase:

· Banned
258 Posts
Get rid of that thing and buy my car. :p 2006 G6 GT sedan w/ just over 50k miles. Only problem it ever had was clunkin in steering wheel. Got that fixed in 06 and hasnt returned. Recently replaced serpentine belt, transmission filter and fluid, and spark plugs. Now shes ready for the long haul... Pics are in the members rides section. ;)

· Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Yeah that does suck, but most of those problems were externally caused. It's also amazing how sucky the dealership repairs can be- I know from experience too. It seems like there's always something they forget to do or work that they do wrong- stuff that's obviously, plainly not right but somehow they miss.
I've had a bunch of things on my car fixed:
-door reflector missing
-CD player would not work (replaced)
-back seat release latches broken
-evap purge solenoid cracked
*then I had my accident and it was fully repaired*
-air inlet actuator gear stripped and replaced
-window whistled because loose bolt- repaired
-cargo net retainer broken... replaced three times but still won't stay on... finally just glued it down
-driver side lower kick panel trim fell off- replaced
-trunk lock bezel seal (around key hole on trunk)- was clearly not repaired correctly after the accident, it was hanging off- replaced (invoice says: "rotted out rubber seal"- how could it be rotted out if they just replaced it?? shotty work)
-Bad gas cap and engine code- replaced gas cap- still get check engine code
-noisy steering column at low noise- replaced intermediate shaft- still makes noise
-bad left front tie rod end- replaced
-3rd brake lamp not fixed after wreck... still waiting on dealer to call me when they get the parts they need

new stuff that needs to be fixed:
-cracked trim piece on dashboard up in front by the windshield by where the light sensor is
-interior trim on passenger side is falling off

Most of these things are not from external causes... by the time everything is fixed there's not going to be much of the original car left! Hopefully all of these things are just little flukes and not a trend!

Anywho, know how you feel.

· 07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
As Charlie Manson said, "Don't blame me, I' not the one who wrote the music."

Sounds like you G6 has weathered many a storm that would of sent a lesser car to the bottom long ago. Hang in there, you'll make it!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Lol I forgot to add how the I-Shaft is damaged...makes a low popping noise when turning. I can deal with that though.

Nah, the car has about 59k miles on it...lease was terminated a long time ago..Just paid the car off.

Here's a laugh...my brakes in the rear didn't work until I got into my front end collision. Had to get them cleaned afterwards because they collected rust and were making a horrible grinding noise. Got a break on that though, dealership did it for free.

Like many said above, some of the problems are my fault. I was harsh on the car when I first got it...racing it around and such.

I'll either put a new engine in the car...maybe get a power command added on...I love the car to death...I already invested so much in it as well..might as well keep it.

Gonna take the car to the dealership so they can charge me $60 to find the problem...when clearly they know.. I love how we rely on machines so much.

A person mentioned above about their trunk having problems, I know what you mean...but it was my fault. Decided to put 2 12" diamond (competition speakers) with a 2,000 watt amp and a 6 battery pack. Turned on the system and shattered the passenger side window, cracked the driver side window. the back seat lock broke, had it replaced. Trunk got busted open, lock and holder, all of it and my back window shattered. Downgraded the system to a 1,000 watt amp and I'm good...ofc I roll around at -8 bass.

The whole repair bill for my little mishap above was close to $4,000.

· Moderator Member Thingy
1,369 Posts
That is really hard to believe lol.

· Jimmy B.
136 Posts
The reports of "low popping noise" and other such noises from the steering column are common and I've read a bunch of posts where people have had their i-shafts changed because of it and it doesn't help. My car is one such case. I was reading through this thread about 2006 G6 problems and I about wanted to cry:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629&highlight=2006+G6+problems

but a lot of those posts include the "the noise" caused by the steering column.
There is a service bulletin out on it which you can find on this page:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/suspension-squeeking-over-bumps-57730/

Like I said, the dealership replaced my i-shaft and the noise is still present. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's just not there (which is convenient when I go to take it to the dealer!*sarcasm*). I'm going to print out that bulletin when I take it in to the dealer next time and hopefully they will try to lube it in stead of replacing it- and hopefully that will solve the problem. Anywho, good luck with yo car!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, that's why I haven't replaced the I-shaft...I heard a couple of those rumors you said above..that the noise doesn't go away...be like throwing money away.

Another problem I noticed is when I go past 50mph a soft grinding noise starts...It goes away after like 55mph...I've gotten so used to it..any ideas what it is?

· Jimmy B.
136 Posts
grind noise

I had a noise that I noticed at around 35-50 mph coming from one of the wheels, but I would describe it more as a vibration or a shuddering sound than a grinding sound. It turned out to be a bad tie rod end.

Luckily, my car is still under bumper-to-bumper warranty so I didn't have to pay for the new I-shaft or the tie rod end or the other 10 or so things I've had fixed so far. But hey, the more free new parts I can get in my car the better I guess :confused: maybe...

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Thats what a warranty is for. Im not shy to bring it in and tell them something is wrong with it haha mind you hopefully when the warranty is up there wont be any major problems...knock on wood.

· Banned
258 Posts
Get rid of that thing and buy my car. :p 2006 G6 GT sedan w/ just over 50k miles. Only problem it ever had was clunkin in steering wheel. Got that fixed in 06 and hasnt returned. Recently replaced serpentine belt, transmission filter and fluid, and spark plugs. Now shes ready for the long haul... Pics are in the members rides section. ;)
Offer still stands... :p

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Pretty sure it is. Power train means engine, transmission, AC..etc. I cant remember all that it covers but its the vitals of your car.

· Moderator Member Thingy
1,369 Posts
It's not even worth the trip to the dealer. They will just pretend to care and just tell you that it is normal. Seriously... They can use the excuse that it doesn't affect the cars performance as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.