Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what kind of average hi-way fuel mileage some of you have been getting? I realize this varies greatly with driving style and location, but I'd just like to get a ballpark figure. Most Carmax ads list the hi-way mileage estimate at 26.
My 2001 GP GT does 20 to and from work and gets about 26-27 hiway. If I could get that same kind of mileage from a GXP G6 that would be great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am only on like my 4th or 5th tank of gas in my 09 GXP and I am averaging about 25 mpg. I am still having fun with the car and driving a little agressive. My high was 33 on a 60 mile trip. That was babying it and only just doing the speed limit which was 55 most of the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I havent even gotten 33 on my 08 Sebring vert w/2.7 V6!...and thats only 198hp. I generally get 24-25 average communting, so I'm happy with that but the GP seems like its going to get 20mpg average no matter how you drive it. I wish I could find a GXP locally so I could go drive on for myself, but the closest I have located on autotrader has been 70 or more miles away. I wouldnt mind driving that distance if I was ready to plunk the change down, but I'm not quite there yet.

Anybody getting hi 20s mpg driving 70-75mph?

·
Über Newb
13 Posts
Performed an experiment.

Filled up at the station around the corner from my house.

Drove down to work and back, Saturday morning, no traffic.

Specifics:

US-23 and M-59 -> Baker Rd and I-94 -> US-23 and M-59

Car sat at work for 5 hours.
After I start the car, I let it warm up until the RPM's drop down from the High Idle.

Shell 87 Octane

PSI: LF 42 LR 39 RF 41 RR 39

Total Trip: 67.2 miles

DIC:

27.4 MPG Avg

55 MPH Avg

Sunny, ~75 deg, No Traffic, Highway speed was 70 MPH

Used 2.492 gallons of fuel = 26.96 MPG

I'll call that a win at 70mph!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have to agree that 26.9 @ 70mph is pretty darn good, especially on 87 octane and 75 degree weather. I'm very curious how much improvement there might be on 91-93 octane, but that gets into penny differences.

My GP w/L36 gets about that same fuel performance on 89 octane which I think is pretty good as well but I'm giving up 30+ ponies to what the 3.6 makes.

So I'd call that a serious win for the GXP!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i took a long trip from far northwest ohio all the way down to disney in florida.. so pretty much all I-75 and we got pretty much 27-29mgp all the way @ 70-80mph.. even got 26mpg on one tank where we were over 100+ for more than 10miles..

we were using premium the whole time down and back ... and every other tank we used a bottle of lucas fuel treatment..

so take that as you wish

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'd call 26mpg @ 100mph pretty darn impressive! I know I'd never have the nerve to try it unless I was in Montana during the daylight hours! LOL

27-29mpg @ 70mph is as good as either of my cars get right now and neither of them make 250+ HP:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had mine about a year now...routinely avg around 25.5-26mpg for my tankfuls....this is driving typically to and from work with approx 20miles interstate and 6 or 7 miles either thru town or on a county road...i drive 70 on the interstate...but if i drive all highway, i've gotten around 29-30 or better...never gotten less than around 24mpg. so maybe i got me a good one! lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
when i picked up my new GXP from the dealer (with only 35 miles on it :) ) about 150 miles from home stock i averaged 28mph at about 75mph

changed the oil and filter to Mobil1 full synt. and mobile 1 filter the day i got it.....

went back home for christmas and installed a CRAB opt 3 intake and now i can get 34-35mph at 70-75 pretty easily.......... and all that has gone into my GXP since i have owned it is Shell 93 Oct V-power still only have like 1100 miles on it to date lol.

so basically the 3.6 is pretty much on par with the mileage i get with my 3.5GT that comes with 33hp less, needless to say i am pretty impressed and i havent even put an exhaust on the GXP yet......i gained a few mpg on my GT when i installed a GTR exhaust on it too......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts