Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my shopping I have been doing online at autotrader and carmax. I really like the GXP, especially the Street Edition, but most of those are at the upper end of my price range. I've also looked at quite a few 08/09 GTs that look to be very comparably equipped for much less money. The 09s with their updated cluster,hvac and audio units are very attractive.
It looks like all I would be giving up is a manual shift gate, and about 40hp with the 3.5 vs 3.6, but since I've added a CAI and performance exhaust to virtually every car I've owned, I assume I could add a performance chip and make up a good deal of that hp back. The hood ,spoilers and wheels are also dress items that could be added later and even experimented with as a matter of personal taste. All for less than the cost of the higher end car.

I realize this is more opinion, but do you think the GXP is worth the extra coin? Is the 3.6 a much more desirable engine to have? or is the 3.5 a more reliable, lower maint engine in the long term?

Thanks in advance for your input:cool:

·
Administrator
4,169 Posts
well definitly sound like youve done some homework the only disagreement would be stay away from chips. you gotta tune your computer. I can only speak for the 3.5 when i say that i love it and its got a good amount of power...but at the same time i wish i wouldve gotten the GTP. And if I could Id definitly get a GXP. so all in all I guess this really didnt help:D
..but hey whatever you get glad to see its a 6 :beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evidently the fleet models youre talking about must be the ones I have been looking at online. 2010 or 2009.5, however they are properly described. None of those models have had the manual shift gate, and all have been listed as GTs.
I think its such a shame that Pontiac was killed off as part of a cost saving measure. I have yet to see a Chevy or Buick that has the kind of attitude appeal that came from Pontiac style. It seemed like the G6 was taking a sweet step forward just as it was put to rest. The new front fascia, rear spoiler and interior improvements really added spice.

I'm going to assume that adding a manual shift mode is more than just a new shifter.

Has there been any ill talk about the 6spd auto in the GXP? I know the one offered in the Chrysler FWD behind their 3.5 engine has had some problems. You always have to wonder when a new tranny comes along if its going to have "growing pains"

If tuning is the better option over chips or reprogrammed PCMs, what kind of numbers has anyone seen on the 3.6? With 250hp being the stock figure, if an intake,exhaust and some programming would bump things up to 280hp or so, that would make for a mighty quick street machine:D:cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have a gt with the 3.5 and i love it. the thing that drove me away from the gxp was the gas mileage. ive got a cold air, exaust, high end plugs and wires, all synthetic fluids and i put some firehawk GT II tires on it. on average i get right at 30mpg. idk how many ponies i have but im running a 10 flat in the 1/8 and about 15.1/15.2 in the quarter. and im guessing with the ecu tune itll be in the upper 14s in the quarter. in my opinion thats not bad at all while still getting 30mpg.

however, the gxp looks twice as good and is faster. i chose the gt bc of the gas mileage bc i drive to dfw from houston once or twice a month. and on that drive my car reads out 35-36mpg cruising at 70. so its just a personal preference i guess. either way, g6 is a good choice of car. i havent had any major problems with mine. and its got 117k miles on it and still runs perfectly.

let us know what choice you make. glad to hear youre choosing a g6, i hoped this helped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know how much of that will be applicable to the G6 since the G8 is RWD vs FWD, so performance add-ons can differ widely.

I was under the impression that the GXP fuel mileage was comparable to the 3.5, given the VVT and 6spd auto. I think the Carmax ads list the GXP ratings at 18/27 vs the 3.5 at 20/29...not a huge difference but those 1-3mpg can add up over long trips.
I think I could be very content with a modded 3.5 if it came close to the stock GXP hp numbers.

There is an old saying among those of us who like to occasionally have a day at the road course track, "Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slower than it will go."
This is part of the reason MINIs are so popular with the road race crowd. Good fuel economy even when you flog it, great handling and just plain fun to drive. I just dont see myself owning a MINI tho (just a little too cutesy for me) However, I think ripping around Virginia International Raceway in a GXP would be a blast!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I dont know how much of that will be applicable to the G6 since the G8 is RWD vs FWD, so performance add-ons can differ widely.

I was under the impression that the GXP fuel mileage was comparable to the 3.5, given the VVT and 6spd auto. I think the Carmax ads list the GXP ratings at 18/27 vs the 3.5 at 20/29...not a huge difference but those 1-3mpg can add up over long trips.
I think I could be very content with a modded 3.5 if it came close to the stock GXP hp numbers.

There is an old saying among those of us who like to occasionally have a day at the road course track, "Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slower than it will go."
This is part of the reason MINIs are so popular with the road race crowd. Good fuel economy even when you flog it, great handling and just plain fun to drive. I just dont see myself owning a MINI tho (just a little too cutesy for me) However, I think ripping around Virginia International Raceway in a GXP would be a blast!
You're right on the aspect of the RWD and FWD. Most engine mods will be the same though, not transmission mods. For example, there is a 20% underdrive pulley that was made for the G8 V6 but will also work on the GXP and GTP.

And good luck "modding" a 3.5L lol That's what I have and you can get a CAI and Motor mounts and a STB. That's about it for under the hood besides a tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.