Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to forum. If someone could direct me it would be greatly appreciated! 08 Hard top -- when pushing open button, trunk unlatches, then tries to go up, but can't. You can pull it up manually a few inches, and once you do that, if you push the button again, it will go up in a few inches. Seems like a failing hydraulic motor? Can anyone advise me how to determine this? It has always made lots of creaking noises, but it would always make its way open.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just having the same problem now same description can someone please elaborate on fluid level where what type and is it in engine compartment trunklid Etc any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum today and saw this post while researching issues that I have been having with the convertible hardtop. Yesterday I found mine having the same issue. After a lot of time investigating I found the fluid nearly empty. The reservoir is located on the pump behind the pass side plastic cover in the trunk. After filling it and cycling the system I found out why it was low. The lift cylinder in the trunk by the trunk latch was leaking slowly. This is the large cylinder that lifts the lid to open and close it during top operation. After taking it apart I found the tiny o-ring that seals the hydraulic line to the cylinder had degraded and split, causing a fluid leak. Over many operations of the top it had leaked enough that it would no longer lift the lid. Once I refilled it and the system pressurized it blew it out completely. Ah ha found it. Now I have to find the o ring - it is very small.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum today and saw this post while researching issues that I have been having with the convertible hardtop. Yesterday I found mine having the same issue. After a lot of time investigating I found the fluid nearly empty. The reservoir is located on the pump behind the pass side plastic cover in the trunk. After filling it and cycling the system I found out why it was low. The lift cylinder in the trunk by the trunk latch was leaking slowly. This is the large cylinder that lifts the lid to open and close it during top operation. After taking it apart I found the tiny o-ring that seals the hydraulic line to the cylinder had degraded and split, causing a fluid leak. Over many operations of the top it had leaked enough that it would no longer lift the lid. Once I refilled it and the system pressurized it blew it out completely. Ah ha found it. Now I have to find the o ring - it is very small.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do I get to the motor if the top is in the trunk. It won’t go up at all so I can’t get to the motor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You don't really provide much info on what is stuck where. Assuming the top is secure in the down position you can open the trunk. The hydraulic pump is behind the passenger side plastic panel. I have been able to flex it out of the way with the top in the trunk and make enough room to remove the fill cap and add fluid. It is fiddly and you will likely loose some skin and utter many cuss words but it can be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts