Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my friend has a 2007 Pontiac g6 gt hardtop convertible. The other day we went for a drive and put the top down. Everything was normal and sounded normal. We got home and pushed the button to lift the top and it didn’t move. I did some investigating to see if I could figure anything out and this is what we have so far.
1. The Motor of the top still runs
2. We hear spewing noises of liquid when it runs
3. I saw a line when the trunk was open. I moved it around and it was loose. It was not attached to anything and looks snapped. It most likely is for Hydraulics.
4. While messing with the back her trunk got stuck closed also. We disconnected the negative battery and took out the “20A CONV” fuse. Reconnected battery without the fuse and the trunk opened. When fuse is put back it doesn’t open at all.

We are only 18 and I’m still in high school and don’t know much about how any of this works. We have done so much research and investigating we hurt. If anyone has any idea what we should do that would be great. I don’t care if I have to fix it myself but I need to know what to do. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with hydraulic fluid because of the liquid that’s visible. I tried getting to the fluid to check the level and cannot get passed the back window that’s folded in the trunk.
thank you!

·
Registered
520 Posts
you will likely need to find a mechanic that can open the trunk first. Unless you have a scan tool with that kind of capability. there is recent thread on this site about a similar situation. also look a thread I just posted. it is a video on YouTube About convertible roof top...it ended up having a broken wire. sounds like you might have a hydraulic leak. the YouTube video shows how easy it might be to open the Trunk.oh yes the video is on a bmw...they all use similar principles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a trunk release ground on the passenger side kick panel that can pop the trunk. I had to do this so I can get into my trunk since my top is stuck in "Top not secured" mode, even though it's closed and locked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a trunk release ground on the passenger side kick panel that can pop the trunk. I had to do this so I can get into my trunk since my top is stuck in "Top not secured" mode, even though it's closed and locked.
Maybe you should have taken a picture of it so that you could have post it so that everybody that has that problem could see it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay so my friend has a 2007 Pontiac g6 gt hardtop convertible. The other day we went for a drive and put the top down. Everything was normal and sounded normal. We got home and pushed the button to lift the top and it didn’t move. I did some investigating to see if I could figure anything out and this is what we have so far.
3. I saw a line when the trunk was open. I moved it around and it was loose. It was not attached to anything and looks snapped. It most likely is for Hydraulics.
4. While messing with the back her trunk got stuck closed also. We disconnected the negative battery and took out the “20A CONV” fuse. Reconnected battery without the fuse and the trunk opened. When fuse is put back it doesn’t open at all.

We are only 18 and I’m still in high school and don’t know much about how any of this works. We have done so much research and investigating we hurt. If anyone has any idea what we should do that would be great. I don’t care if I have to fix it myself but I need to know what to do. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with hydraulic fluid because of the liquid that’s visible. I tried getting to the fluid to check the level and cannot get passed the back window that’s folded in the trunk.
thank you!
Hey man, were you able to figure it out as mine just doing the same thing. I put the roof down and its went down now the roof wont come bck up. Its making a very weird noise when i hit the button to bring it up or sound at all.
Can someone please help me

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you are noticing something different I would start there. You mention the hydraulic pump is sounding weird. Have you checked the fluid level? Many convertible owners have experienced leaking hydraulic rams as the cars age. If the fluid in the convertible top pump reservoir runs out it does make a different sound. If you have lost hydraulic fluid that is a sure sign you have a leak which you will also need to find and fix. Depending on the severity of the leak you may be able to get the top to operate by adding more fluid (Pentosin CHF 11S), but the problem will likely persist until you fix the leak.

Hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are noticing something different I would start there. You mention the hydraulic pump is sounding weird. Have you checked the fluid level? Many convertible owners have experienced leaking hydraulic rams as the cars age. If the fluid in the convertible top pump reservoir runs out it does make a different sound. If you have lost hydraulic fluid that is a sure sign you have a leak which you will also need to find and fix. Depending on the severity of the leak you may be able to get the top to operate by adding more fluid (Pentosin CHF 11S), but the problem will likely persist until you fix the leak.

Hope you get it fixed
What are the chances of motor just dying on me coz its only one side motor runs when i try to open it but doesnt close it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry, buy I don't think I fully understand what you are describing. There is only one hydraulic pump. Pumps can fail, but I would say that leaks and wiring issues are more common. If it makes a noise when attempting to move the top in either direction I would say that is a positive sign for the health of the pump. Also finding or fixing a failed pump would likely be tough undertaking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok let me see what i can do, called a gm dealership and they want to charge $150 for inspection 🙃😕
Taking it to a GM dealer will be a waste of money. They no longer have any qualified techs to work on these convertibles. If the hydraulic pump is making a "weird" wurring type of sound, you're likely low on fluid and you have a leak. The main rams are notorious for failing after several years (10-15).

I would recommend trying to lift (with an assistant) the top out of the trunk for easier access to the hydraulic pump which is behind the trunk cover panel on the passenger side. Once you take the panel off which easly comes out after removing several push clips, you can see the pump and the fluid level. If fluid level is low, then you have a leak. Look and feel around all the hydraulic rams (main rams first) for leaking fluid. If hydraulic ram(s) is leaking, they'll need to be replaced. Best to have them rebuilt (www.tophydraulics.com).

If you can't get the top out of the trunk, you may want to follow this procedure for gaining access to the hydraulic pump. FWIW, this is NOT me or my G6 in this video -

·
Registered
520 Posts
As above. and if you find enough muscle to get the roof out of the trunk. I see that you are flying a Canadian flag. I don't live in Guelph but I will be there next week. If anyone with a G6 convertible would like meet and discuss problems or issues send me a pm in conversation s. Maybe I can help. If not let's just sit and chat enjoy the cars.
Convertme
Ps. I practice and follow covid rules and regulations. Please bring and wear a mask.

·
Registered
5 Posts

thank you!
Just weld it shut. Raise top manually..
This top is a POS
Don't frustrate yourself
I called 12 calif dealers.
NOT ONE WOULD TOUCH IT.
SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts