Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 G6 hardtop convertible. The owners manual says not to stop the top operation mid travel.

I want to display the top “mid travel” for display in car shows.

What can happen if I stop the top in mid travel or why does owners manual say not to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can stop it briefly during travel to check it's progress, but the owner's manual also says "If the retractable hardtop is not completely opened or closed, the system will cause the the retractable hardtop to slowly descend after 3 minutes." It also adds, "The retractable hardtop will descend immediately if the ignition is turned to OFF during the opening or closing of the retractable hardtop. Always completely open or close the retractable hardtop and do not shut off the ignition during the opening or closing to the retractable hardtop."

There's no explanation what might happen when you don't follow the instructions, but my assumption is it's not good to do. (I have and '07 and these warnings are on page 155 of the owner's manual.)

Mark

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
I'll tell you what will happen. As the manual says, it will release hydraulic pressure and descend. Depending on where you stopped, the weight of the top may cause it to descend rather swiftly and chop off any hands that you or others may have in the wrong place. It does give an audible beep just before doing that, but it's not obvious to most people that the beep means get your cotton-picking hands out of harm's way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts