Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the 2006 Hardtop convertible G6. When we test drove it I swear we didn't hear all the rattles. The minute we signed the papers and drove off the top rattled so much it drive me crazy. Is there any solution for this.
I cleaned and lubed all the rubber seals, didn't help abit.
Sounds like it is coming from an area above the headliner, can anyone tell me how to remove the headliner.
It also could be from wear the main connects with the rear window.
If I would known this thing rattled this bad I would not have purchased. Thought we got a super price, but maybe not. Lots of miles but over shape is decent.
Any help would be appreciated.:frown2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you haven't, check the pins in the roof joint. I don't know ow the correct name.
Open the roof maybe half when with engine running, and in the joint between the roof and back window, are two pins. These pins should have a two piece rubber insulator. When the top is closed, these pins push the roof down. The insulator twists in those pins, if those are worn, they will rattle like a woodpecker in heat. You can try to turn them 180* to check them and road test, or they may be visibly torn.
Dave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response I was beginning to think I wasn't gonna get any help.. I will try this and respond.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
208 Posts
Those are dealer only as far as I know. You might be able to fab up something with odds and ends, but I prefer to have the right stuff that fits perfect.
I love my CNV, and cycle the top nearly daily May-Oct, then a few times, weekly the rest, except for maybe February. More often down then up, and I am 'that guy who drives with the top down in the snow' here in CO.
I've got a few other posts on top maintenance, I am no expert, but they have good info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Again Dave appreciate.
By the way my G6 is silver also. If I can get that rattle toned down abit I'm sure I will love it to.
Only paid $2800 for the car so can't complain too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, after checking out the pins you pictured, I don't see a two piece insulator, it only looks like a piece of plastic wrapped around the pin.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry, I went by memory. They are one piece rubber pieces that fit over the posts. They look like chess pawns sorta. The issue more or less is whether or not you have any place where you have exposed metal on the pin. If fully covered, you should be good - rattle is elsewhere.
The rattle I have to get around to ( i kinda forgot over the summer) is top up, and low. I am pretty sure that the package shelf is rattling in the c shaped area it goes into at the back of the glass panel and needs some fleet tape, or the wings are jumping around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question, I have obtained the bushings, now does anyone know how to install them. It doesn't look like they will slide right on, do I have to take the Pins off?
Thanks again for all help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
One more question, I have obtained the bushings, now does anyone know how to install them. It doesn't look like they will slide right on, do I have to take the Pins off?
Thanks again for all help.
Slide off/slide on. You may have to use a tool to start them off. Spray glass cleaner is my go to for a little lubricant to put them on. I figure it is wet, then evaporates dry.
Let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
208 Posts
For some reason I posted them to be 2-piece, but definitely are not.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought my 06 GTP from a dealer in Feb. 2018. We're near Chicago and while cold it was not horrible. The car had been in the shop and was already warmed up when I took the test drive. All was quiet. Picked up the car 2 days later. Again it was in the shop. All was quiet going home. The next morning the temperature was in the teens and the car had been outside all night. As I started to drive the rattle in the roof was incredible. It sounded like something was horribly wrong. I stopped, opened the trunk looked around and saw nothing obvious. I changed course and started driving back to the dealer. Within 10 minutes as the car warmed up the noises all went away. Quiet as a sleeping baby. After work same thing. Noises and then gone when the car was warmed up. Happens every day around 40 degrees and under. Dealer has no clue. I've just gotten used to the noise on cold datys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts