Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my G6 for about 2 1/2 months now with a little over 4,000 miles and I'm around 40%. I still have a while to go yet. To be honest, I'm not used to this sort of system. I've always got my oil changed at 3,000 mile intervals. So, it makes me a little nervous.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
BlackG6 said:
I've had my G6 for about 2 1/2 months now with a little over 4,000 miles and I'm around 40%. I still have a while to go yet. To be honest, I'm not used to this sort of system. I've always got my oil changed at 3,000 mile intervals. So, it makes me a little nervous.
You should change the oil at about 4,000 miles. The oil change indicator should be used as a guide, not as gospel. You know your own driving habits and 4k miles is a good change interval. :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
gm has one of the best oil life monitors it keeps record of how many times your pistons fire, cold stars, and couple of other things and true it is still a guide but thought it was interesting to know because like lots of companies have changed their recomended oil change. like vw for example changed from some where around over 6,500 to the 3,000 because of huge problems with OIL SLUDGE! i have an article about it somewhere i just read it like 2 days ago

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am changing according to the manual.

According to the manual the Oil Change monitor will notify you when the change is due. Right now I am at ~ 3500 miles and the monitor is at 50%. Sounds about right to me for the type of driving conditions and the G6 simple engine.

On all BMWs I owned in the past the oil change range was around 7500-8000 miles with synthetic (sometimes with an Inspection due). You gotta love the marketing on that though. An Inspection II service at the dealer on my M Roadster/M3 would set you back about $800. I used to take mine to the local independent Euro shop and have the same thing done for $425.

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Oil Change

Protect your engine dude. Don't wait for the DIC to tell you when to change. I never go over 5,000 km (3,100 Miles). I changed mine yesterday for the first time at 5,000 km, DIC said 53% and it was filthy. I will use it as a guide only. Hey for about $16.00 Canadian it's cheap preventative maintenence. Plus, what an easy set up for the filter and drain plug access. 10 minutes in and out. Reminds me of the filter set up on my 86 Monte SS. Pedal down!

GraniteG6

·
Blue Velvet
14 Posts
I don't trust the oil change monitor in the Grand Am, I just check my oil every couple weeks and before I go on a long trip. I will never trust anyone's oil change system, I will always check the oil myself, if it doesn't have a dipstick it won't be in my garage. It already pisses me off enough that my GA doesn't have a tranny fluid dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
speaking of guide vs gospel, i would trust the oil life monitor over the extreme generalization that all vehicles, no matter what size or make, should have their oil changed at 3000 miles.

i had a grand am for a while and ignored the oil life system and just did 3000 miles. then when i was researching for a new car i read about how GM was really pushing people to wait til the car told them to change the oil. there were even stories about dealership techs just acting like they changed the oil because they saw there was so much life left in it. from what i see in the manual, the OLM doesn't even count miles, it goes by how the oil is performing (heat etc). what could be better than that?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was reading something about that to. I had a couple post earlier
like if your engine regularly gets over 200 deg. f/ things like extra water (mostirue) burn up. some water gets in by entering the throttle body for example. which is why they have seprate computers for measuring diffrent things. such as the oil temp. so if people have had the winter temps and their engine never gets above 200 deg. f/ (or at) that extra water never gets burnt up and stays in their one of the main reason for installing this system in GM vehicles, and BMW vehicles is oil sludge. it looks like your oil is foamy.
but the best bet is to just check if u think your not getting an acurate reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.