Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"In the Pontiac tradition, the chrome 18-inch wheels seem a little too bright, just as the GTP has a little too much style. | September 15, 2009 | josh jacquot for Edmunds"

wtf?

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"All of this combines for a total price of $28,020, considerably more than a Mustang V6 and just about on the money with the Accord V6."

that's probably because the car you drove had all the extras + will spank the base 2007 Mustang any day- comparing apples and oranges here

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
We enjoyed our time with the 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP. It was a fun car to drive every day, compact and lively. But — let's be honest now — it's just an everyday driver. It's a sporty car, not a sports car.
I dunno.....i pretty much agreed with him.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I agree with lampoon, it is a sporty looking car but its no sport or race car, its no 370z haha none the less I love my 6 it has all the power I would want for what I need it for which is get me to work, run errands and traveling home.

·
;)
386 Posts
I defenitely dont think its strictly a chicks car, but go figure a female editor would think so. If you want to label a vehicle, see what majority of people drive a G6, I think guys do, atleast in ct. The article did mention facts that are true in one way or another. To me the G6 is bought for its affordability along with its attractive looks & options. It looks better than a honda accord & has better numbers in areas & when modded, 10x better. I never heard of celeb jumping on stage over a Honda.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gand Prix GTP died so enter G6 GTP it's the same car. The styling was conservative and not aggressive enough to appeal to the demographic they were looking at. American males ages 18 mid to high 20's. I don't really agree with him on the car's handling. I think he spoofed it up a bit. With a good set of stiff springs and some better sway bars she'd be fine but stock it feels kinda like a boat to me in the turns. It's a fun car with a great engine but but look at it's competitors. The V6 accord came with a 272hp V6. Even though 0-60 is faster in the GTP most people are looking at that hp number and don't take into considering weight, wheel base, or F/R weight distribution. I didn't agree with him when he said this either...

"But trying to compete with V6 versions of the Ford Mustang, the all-time leader in American cool"

lol a V6 stang is cool? Hell the 4.8L V8s aren't really that cool.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
...lol a V6 stang is cool? Hell the 4.8L V8s aren't really that cool.
I think Mustangs are cool. :cool:

Then again I like Camaros and GTO's as well....
Each fits a nitch in the American Musclecar class.

I think the G6 is more a Grand Am upgrade versus the Grand Prix...;)

G1234 56
Grand Am

·
Registered
163 Posts
I never heard of celeb jumping on stage over a Honda.
Watch TopGear Jeremy loves the NSX, S2000 and the CTR. Also see Oprah isn't exactly a car enthusiast. Here are just two cars that sale great and that first one completely sold out within 10 minutes.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/civic_type_rr-thumb.jpg
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/5608large1.jpg

Here is a nice accord that looks way more aggressive and "manly" than our G6s
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/jblaust/HI7H7219copy.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/jblaust/100_0302.jpg

The sedan I don't like though it looks pretty poopy.

In the end it doesn't matter if you have a G6, accord, bi-plane, or boat. It comes down to the user. If someone does horrible mods like plenty do then the car will look shitty. If done with some taste it'll look good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think Mustangs are cool. :cool:

Then again I like Camaros and GTO's as well....
Each fits a nitch in the American Musclecar class.

I think the G6 is more a Grand Am upgrade versus the Grand Prix...;)

G1234 56
Grand Am
Yeah it is but performance wise it's in the Grand Prix GTP zone. When I told everyone I got one they instantly said "oh man 3800 supercharged" and then I had to explain. The Camaros and GTOs are on a different level for me than Mustangs. The market is saturated with mustangs. I do love the 2011 models though don't get me wrong. And the 4.8's are fast stock with a good set of tires. My friend ran a 13.36 @ 101.12; 1.76 60ft on bogarts with a completely stock 08 GT. There is nothing better than on track days watching the Ford and GM guys go at it. Usually the Mopar guys don't really show up at my local track. It's probably because of that procharged Z06 lol

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not saying that the G6 is a sport car, because it's definitely isn't, but I definitely don't feel like it's a girls car! That's probably my biggest complaint about the article.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
We traded our GP GT for the G6 GT drop top and it's a he11 of a lot more enjojable to drive and cool enough to cruise in too!
The 18" wheels set it off nicely and it handles far better than the GP.
It's not a girl's car, it's everybody's car!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Most stuff I completely disagree with but some of it is true like with what Lampoon quoted. and since we are trying to figure out what replaced what, I'll go a little further on Lampoon's idea;

Grand Am - 6 letters - G6
Grand Prix - 8 letters - G8

There's your Grand Prix Contender. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Just before I bought my Civic I was eyeing a white GTP coupe vert. This car looked really nice and I was going to test drive it on the following weekend but I started to ask myself, "why?" I have a GT Sedan an obviously there will be a difference in performance and style but I was really looking for a "Sports Car!" and I knew I was not going to get that out of a G6. I settled into a Civic for the gas milage and now plan to buy a "Sports Car" in a few years. The G6 is clearly a nice car but like a lot of folks here, its a daily driver for a modest income person. Maybe I can afford one of these;

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
The G6 was a break through car for Pontiac.
It was not the next Grand AM, but a new model in it's own right.
The G6 name comes from it's concept car designation and is the replacement for the Grand Am, not the next version.
The G6 is built on GM's global Epsilon parts set, which also underpins the Malibu and the Saab 9-3.
You would no more refer to it as a Malibu, or Saab 9-3, than you would a Grand AM.
Finally, I like the idea G6 pride in heritage, Corvette's are know by their C1-C6 designation, each being very unique.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.