Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
IT'S BAD ASS IN BLACK!!!!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of switching the pwr steering fluid, brake and the trans fluid to synthetic. Has anybody done this yet?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have. I bought some Amsoil Syn PS fluid and brake fluid (not the racing stuff, but DOT 4). I run 0W30 engine oil and standard Amsoil ATF (there's a newer ATF that's thinner to aid in extra fuel economy, but with my auto-stick I stuck to the original synthetic ATF). I have close to 7K on the oil, or around 13,000kms. I won't be changing it until middle of next summer.

I just passed 40,000kms last week and thought I was due. The brake fluid was still clear, but I took the wheels off to check remaining brake pad, etc, so while I had it on the ramps, I bled the brakes. Turned out, there was some dirt in the fluid, most of it was kept in the lines. PS fluid was turning dark, but not even close to black. I could have left both fluids in another 25K without issue. Now with the synthetic products, I'll be good til 80K or so before I even have to THINK about changing them out again.

I switched my '99 Taurus 2V over to synthetic PS fluid as well that day. First thing I noticed with the Ford was that the pump wasn't as high pitched when I had the wheel cranked over to lock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts