Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im am so aggravated with my G6. I loved my car when I bought it! Ive had it now for 8 months! And the past month things have been squeaking, breaking...and making me crazy!

The car is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership and I dont want it back until its fixed! Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and whats been wrong!

PROBLEM 1:

I noticed this when I was merging into interstate traffic at 70 mph...Im not really sure what my RPMs were when I heard it but it was this high pitched squeak as the car changed gears. You know the noise that cars with the turbo in them make (like the Jetta with turbo), it was similar to that. But we all know our G6s dont have turbo!!!! It makes that noise everytime the RPMs get up there.

PROBLEM 2: Shaking! I leave for work in the morning and my steering wheel shakes for the first 10 minutes of my 15 minute drive. You can see my coffee cup shaking, my Sirius Radio Receiver shaking...and also when im in the interstate theres a barely there shake that a new car should NOT have. Its definetly not a smooth ride

BIG PROBLEM 3: Steering! What steering? This isnt a constant problem, but its enough to scare the crap out of you! I went to make a left turn and the car kept going straight. The steering wheel was locked. It let go right at the last second and I about landed in a ditch! Then as I was backing out of my parking lot at my office i turned the wheel a bit and it locked again. This has happened about a dozen times in the past month. Luckily it hasnt caused me to wreck!

I received a recall in the mail a couple weeks ago for the harmonice balancer so could this have something to do with any of these problems Ive had or could the harmonic balancer be PROBLEM #4?

Also another annoying thing about my car is the rattle the sunroof shade makes. Is that even fixable?

Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and what had to be done! Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, I've never had any problem with shaking or steering or even the squeek. The squeek I think is the accessory belt slipping a bit, seems like I remember seeing an earlier post on that one. The harmonic balancer recall, amounts to them re-tightening the bolts, it will take 5 minutes to do once they get the car inside the garage bay. I'm thinking it is more of a precaution as the service manager told me mine was actually ok.
As far as the sunroof, do you have the single glass or the multi-panel type. Is your car an '05 or '06? The only noise I had with my single pane '05 was before they installed the air deflector. Perhaps yours isn't tightened down properly if you have the same as I do.
All in all I've been very satisfied with my G6. The only thing that had to be done so far was a rattle "somewhere behind the driver's seat" which ended up being a loose shock mount. Rarely have I bought a new car in its first year of production that it didn't have a few kinks to work out. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha! Youd think it was after all that crap thats went wrong in the last month. Ive only had it 8 months. Ill lose my butt if I turn it in now. Im going to take it in tomorrow and leave it! And Im not picking it up until EVERYTHING is fixed. The jerk at the dealership said he can look at it tomorrow but cant do anything with it until Monday. Wonderful!

Its a 2005 GT...there should not be this many problems regardless...especially something thats so dangerous. Imagine trying to make a simple left turn and your steering wheel wont move. Locked tight! What if I needed to make a quick decision to get out of the way of another vehicle? I dont quite think Id make it! Ridiculous! They are acting like its a problem that can wait 5 days!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Carissa249 said:
Ok, Im am so aggravated with my G6. I loved my car when I bought it! Ive had it now for 8 months! And the past month things have been squeaking, breaking...and making me crazy!

The car is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership and I dont want it back until its fixed! Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and whats been wrong!

PROBLEM 1:

I noticed this when I was merging into interstate traffic at 70 mph...Im not really sure what my RPMs were when I heard it but it was this high pitched squeak as the car changed gears. You know the noise that cars with the turbo in them make (like the Jetta with turbo), it was similar to that. But we all know our G6s dont have turbo!!!! It makes that noise everytime the RPMs get up there.
Your belt needs replaced.. mine was doing it the second I got over 3,000 rpm all the way to 5,000rpm.

PROBLEM 2: Shaking! I leave for work in the morning and my steering wheel shakes for the first 10 minutes of my 15 minute drive. You can see my coffee cup shaking, my Sirius Radio Receiver shaking...and also when im in the interstate theres a barely there shake that a new car should NOT have. Its definetly not a smooth ride
I am thinking out of balance tire. Not really sure..but the harmonic could cause this as well if yours is really loose. Get it checked ASAP!

BIG PROBLEM 3: Steering! What steering? This isnt a constant problem, but its enough to scare the crap out of you! I went to make a left turn and the car kept going straight. The steering wheel was locked. It let go right at the last second and I about landed in a ditch! Then as I was backing out of my parking lot at my office i turned the wheel a bit and it locked again. This has happened about a dozen times in the past month. Luckily it hasnt caused me to wreck!
This one is going to end up killing someone Im afraid. I saw a post on GMINSIDENEWS where someone rolled their G6 after her steering locked on the interstate. Ive personally had it lock up multiple times ..but usually when its cold and I havnt been going more than 5mph (lucky for me). Keep telling the dealer about this!!!! I try to bring it up everytime I go in... they at least need to address the issue.

I received a recall in the mail a couple weeks ago for the harmonice balancer so could this have something to do with any of these problems Ive had or could the harmonic balancer be PROBLEM #4?
If your harmonic is loose enough to cause the vibrations you mentioned about it can also cause major internal damage to the engine if you let it go too long. Get it repaired ASAP....

Also another annoying thing about my car is the rattle the sunroof shade makes. Is that even fixable?

Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and what had to be done! Thanks!
My sunroof shade rattles, door locks rattle, the passenger door rattles (if I hit the top of the panel..it stops for a while)... the car has a creak coming from the front end over bumps, another nice rattle noise as well... and the doors seem to shift in their frames over uneven surfaces causes all kinds of strange noises.

Aside from that my 05 G6 is great. :(

Cliff notes: Get your car to the dealership ASAP!!!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Carissa - Finally someone with as many problems as I have had, but most of them different!! I did have to have a belt replaced b/c it was loose and causing a rattle. That fixed it for a few weeks, now it rattles again. It has just now gotten cold where I'm at and I have noticed the steering to be stiffer than usual, but only when I first get in it and take off. If I let it warm up first, it's fine. I have luckily not had any problems with the sunroof. I do have to have a new door panel because mine is coming apart. I went down a bumpy driveway a while ago and just knew the car was going to fall apart from the way it sounded. Aside from that the car is beautiful!! :eek:

Mike is right it's a first year model for the G6 and we should all expect problems, but how long has Pontiac been making cars? Some problems with the G6 were also problems with the GA's. Can you say learn from your mistakes? :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Robyn P said:
Mike is right it's a first year model for the G6 and we should all expect problems, but how long has Pontiac been making cars? Some problems with the G6 were also problems with the GA's. Can you say learn from your mistakes? :D
This isn't a new Grand Am. This is a COMPLETELY new car from the ground up. Anything that was wrong with the Grand Am, or "learned" from the Grand Am, cannot be applied here. Personally, this car is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other Pontiac I've owned in terms of perceived quality. I've only had my 06 GT coupe a week, but my dad has had his 05 GT sedan for a year. Only problem: panoramic roof rattles. Besides that, he LOVES the car and doesn't regret for a second his decision.

I think they did a damn fine job to start with.

·
Registered
532 Posts
ragingfish said:
This isn't a new Grand Am. This is a COMPLETELY new car from the ground up. Anything that was wrong with the Grand Am, or "learned" from the Grand Am, cannot be applied here. Personally, this car is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other Pontiac I've owned in terms of perceived quality. I've only had my 06 GT coupe a week, but my dad has had his 05 GT sedan for a year. Only problem: panoramic roof rattles. Besides that, he LOVES the car and doesn't regret for a second his decision.

I think they did a damn fine job to start with.
Thats the whole point. They knew coming in what demographic they were going after. They KNEW grand am owners were going to buy the G6 as replacement. So why wouldnt they make sure certain problems didn't exist? Some little things that go wrong on brand new cars are nothing more than cut corners on the manufacturers part. After this many years making cars they should be able to prevent most of the problems from EVER occuring. Of course...the day a car manufacturer creates a car that doesn't fall apart they might as well close their doors ;) They are fully CAPABLE of making cars better...they just know they would only hurt themselves by letting it happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Carissa249 said:

PROBLEM 1:

Your problem #3 I've never even heard anyone else complain about, and maybe that's because they never lived to tell their side of the story. It sounds scary. The only scary problem I have is when I slam on my brakes real hard to avoid getting in an accident, my back wheels lock up and start fishtailing all over. The harmonic balancer has NOTHING to do with problem #3. But it could have something to do with problem #2.

More than likely problem #2 is caused by a wheel out of balance, and I've heard that some G6 wheels are so badly out of balance that they can't easily be fixed.

Problem #1 is common, and really un fixable. It is caused by transmission slippage. The problem is that the G6 is setup to make smooth shifts which cause clutch plate slippage and sound like the turbo noise. This usually only happens under high RPM's. The only way to fix that is to reprogram the transmission to shift firmer, and your dealer will not do that for you, and may tell you that it will void your warranty if you do, but it really can't void your warranty.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Thats the whole point. They knew coming in what demographic they were going after. They KNEW grand am owners were going to buy the G6 as replacement. So why wouldnt they make sure certain problems didn't exist? Some little things that go wrong on brand new cars are nothing more than cut corners on the manufacturers part. After this many years making cars they should be able to prevent most of the problems from EVER occuring. Of course...the day a car manufacturer creates a car that doesn't fall apart they might as well close their doors ;) They are fully CAPABLE of making cars better...they just know they would only hurt themselves by letting it happen.

THANK YOU!!!! :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
i had my back weels lock barely hitting the brakes and fish tale slightly but i was able to control even with the traffic going 45mph around me!

Also i have had the problem with my car trying to steer itself, like for instance if i go to pass some one and hit the gas and start going strait to get speed then my wheel desides that it wont let me turn it enough to get in the left lane and go within inches of the car next to me iv had this happen so many times i cant count. In fact i almost hit some ones side on the 10/25 my wheel kept pulling to the right after i passed some one.

I thought i read some whear that there is a program in the car to try to prevent lossing control by helping to corect steering with the electric power steering in the base and gt models

·
Registered
423 Posts
maybe you guys are just running alittle bit low on electric power steering fluid....
:rolleyes:

but seriously this is a MAJOR concern that i, fortunately, have not had the pleasure of experiencing. so far, knock on carbon fiber, my car has had none of the problems that i have read about from other members.

just that one time when i was 'nailing it' from about 30mph and thought i had squealed the tires, only to find out it was the serpentine belt slipping.......other than that, all's been good with me and my G......... :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

Ok for everyone that was asking...this is an update on what the dealership found wrong with my car. First off there is a Technical Service Bulletin out on the G6s. So if your car steers funny TAKE IT IN!!!! The control arm is bad on mine and there is a bad belt (serpentine belt? SP?). The control arm is what is messing the steering up. Obviously Im not the only one with this problem otherwise there would be no TSB out on the cars. Its sooo bad that the dealership refuses to give me the car back until its fixed which may take up to 2 weeks due to them not having the part in stock. They said "We will not put you back into this vehicle until this problem is corrected. Its a major safety issue."

So thank god I took it in when I did! I heard of a family rolling their g6 4 times and their child had to be rushed to the ER. RIDICULOUS! Yes we should expect issues with our new G6s but should we really have to worry about dying behind the wheel of our G6s for reasons that we have no control over??? Im now driving a 2004 Grand Am as a loaner and I hate to say this but I like the Grand Am more then my G6!!!

Hopefully this will fix it and Ill never have to deal with it again. But Im always going to worry about the steering locking up again. So again...if your steering is stiff, the car is trying to turn itself or your steering feels funny at all...take it in!! I dont want to see anyone die because GM obviously screwed up!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The thing about your story that bothers me, is that the dealership is concerned enough to keep your car and that this is a TSB situation. If it is such a safety concern, as your dealership says, why isn't it a recall to inspect all G6s or at least the ones built between certain VINs. So the question to me is: Is your dealership over-reacting or GM under-reacting? Are the lives of a few people paid off in litigation less expensive than having all owners come in to have their cars examined? :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats what I said to the dealership. And the guy said basically in not so many words...that a TSB is a way of NOT having a recall. Recalls look bad for the manufacturers and companies. There for they will have TSBs. Its BS if you ask me. I drive 2000+ miles /month. And Id say 90% of those miles I am driving with a toddler in the car. So it boils down to us having to be hurt or killed in an accident to possibly get a recall put out there to save lives. I do know this has caused accidents. I dont know of how many or how bad the injuries were...they will put a stupid recall out for something in the owners manual or a harmonic balancer. But something as dangerous as this doesnt get a recall?? I dont understand. And the more I think about it the more upset I get!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Carissa249 said:
So thank god I took it in when I did! I heard of a family rolling their g6 4 times and their child had to be rushed to the ER. RIDICULOUS!
If you're referring to the post on GMInsideNews, it was proven numerous times over that story was FALSE. It never happened.

That being said...a TSB is not a way of avoiding a recall. We've seen the number of recalls from GM, and there certainly aren't any indications GM won't speak up if they screw up. A TSB is simply guidelines for service techs to help avoid UNNECESSARY part replacement. For example: there was a TSB on my 2003 Vibe that said owners who had a "sandblasting" effect on the lower parts of the body should have rocker extensions put on to eliminate (or at least hinder) the problem. A TSB is simply a way of putting the info and correct solutions out there, for problems that may have come up. It gives the techs guidelines for what to try first, to avoid them unnecessarily replacing endless parts trying to find a problem.

I'm glad your dealership found the problem, but a bad control arm isn't necessarily a defect. It COULD be...but you can also mess up a control arm if you hit a bad pothole in the road...I've done it before. Dozens of times.

That being said, anyone who has steering issues could mention that it has been determined in another case the control arm was at fault -- to give them something to look at as a starting point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts