Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, my driver's side, low beam headlight went out. After going to replace the bulb, I noticed that the socket was actually melted and corroded. I changed out the socket... and 6 months later, the same issue.

Has anyone else seen this? It sounds like a short in the entire harness. Is anyone aware of a harness swap? or do I need to get an entirely new headlamp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Very common issue.

In a high current circuit such as the headlamps, it doesn't take much of an increase in resistance to create enough localized heat to melt the plastic socket. Corrosion causes such an increase in resistance across the contact surfaces.

The best way to reduce metal contact corrosion is by using dielectric silicone grease on the contacting surfaces. It effectively displaces water from the contacts.

You can also buy sockets that use a higher temp-rated plastic though they aren't really needed if you just prevent corrosion in the first place.

Also, did you replace the head lamp bulb? The electrical contact surfaces of the bulb must also remain corrosion-free. So if you reused the bulb it already had a corrosion buildup & it wouldn't take long for the new socket to melt.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help!

i'll look into the dielectric silicone grease. Although the connector I used this time has a built in water seal, so Corrosion was not an issue this time around (I did use a new bulb as well). It is currently working just by unplugging the bulb and then wiggling it around to re-plug.. however, I'm 90% sure that this will just be a temporary solution for a week or so until plastic melts onto the connections again. I'll also look into a connector with a a 'harder' plastic to hopefully mitigate the melting.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Can you post a picture or two of the damage?

Those seals just aren't that effective.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334786579&sr=8-4[/ame]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts