Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, those were supposed to be temporary so I could see how the car looked with them on. I was going to pull the headlights apart and actually mount individual ones inside. The strips I put on are self adhesive and are black when turned off.

Since the headlights have a black border at the bottom about a quarter inch wide, I aligned them so they wouldnt be very visible when turned off. There are actually two sets on each headlight matched up and to end and they fit perfectly without having to cut them.

I bought those at Auto Zone for $20 per set (2 sets of 14 inch lights), and you do have to tuck the wires that come off the ends under the headlights. It's better if you use shrink tubing on them and a heat gun or a hot blow dryer so you dont see the red wire.

You will probably have to remove both headlights if you want to wire them neatly, its not hard to get them off once you know there is a pin on the outer side of each light that is a bit of a pain to unhook from the metal tab in each fender. You also have to remove the five or six plastic holders that keep the top of the front bumper in place (the ones that flank either side of the hood latch).

I wired them up to only the parking lights initially, but then I realized I could get them to blink the opposite of the orange turn signal lights by adding a relay to each side. The turn signal wire tells the LED light to shut off when it lights up so they alternate. The G6 will let you turn on the fogs without the headlights being turned on so I can drive with just the parking lights, LED's, and fogs on.

I get stares all the time because no one has them around here and I debadged the entire car except for the one Pontiac emblem on the hood. So, all you need is about 40 dollars and an hour of time to do this, if you want them to flash, I can make a quick diagram of the relay configuration so they flash opposite of the turn signals. You will need two 5 terminal Bosch or any brand automotive relays.

The interior LED's are hooked up to a switch (that little red dot in the picture of the dash is the light on the switch) I chose that spot because the fusebox is right behind that area and is easy to access.

The iPhone in the pic is directly wired and controlled by the radio, no FM interface. Its really nice because you can control it two different ways. If you want to control it from the iPhone touch screen, you select AUX 1 on the radio, if you want the radio to have control and text feedback, you select IPOD. The integration part is plug & play and uses the uax input on the back of the radio meant for the optional XM tuner that the dealer supplies. Your steering wheel controls will work for volume, track up / down and you use the 1-6 on the radio to navigate the menus.

If you like direct radio control and no visible iPod, you can run the cord easily to the glovebox. My next project is to get the center console and glovebox to lock. I have extra door lock actuators laying around, so I may have them lock electronically with a latching mechanism on the inside.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so r the leds in the headlight or under them? can u take a pic with the lights off please, also u said u have the diagram for the hook up this will work for the 09 g6 gt sedan
Those are sitting on the outside of the headlight at the very bottom along the black border of the headlight where the seal is. I like the fact that they can be removed at some point down the line.

Let me get the diagram mocked up in Photoshop and Ill post it here shortly. And yes, this will work with any G6, there are three wires that go to the orange bulb. One is for parking and the other is the turn signal, the last one is ground. The brown = parking and the blue = turn signal, black = ground. If you just want them to light up whenever you turn on the parking lights, just use the black wire and the brown.

· Registered
28 Posts
how is the visibility when driving with the led's? Also are you able to drive with the fogs, leds, and lows on at the same time?

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LED's and parking lights together dont light up the road enough by themselves, so after twighlight, I turn on the fogs too. You can have the lowbeams on as well, every time I drive, I change the setting from auto to parking lamps on the headlight switch.

So far, I havent been hassled by any police for the setup and lack of regular headlights.

Here is the diagram for regular or blinking.

· Registered
174 Posts
Sweet looking lights!
I went to autozone today to pick up the lights, after getting there it didn't look like the LED strips mentioned were water proof. So i wound up getting a pair of 12 inch water proof LED strips instead for 19.99.
After I managed to get the headlight out (worst design ever) I tried to wire them into the small marker light. In process the connection sparked and now my turn signals, marker lights and tail lights do not work. However, when I unlock or lock the car the turn signals and tail lights flash and when I hit the brakes the tail lights light up. I'm thinking that I overloaded the electrical system somehow, but otherwise I'm at a loss of what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet looking lights!
I went to autozone today to pick up the lights, after getting there it didn't look like the LED strips mentioned were water proof. So i wound up getting a pair of 12 inch water proof LED strips instead for 19.99.
After I managed to get the headlight out (worst design ever) I tried to wire them into the small marker light. In process the connection sparked and now my turn signals, marker lights and tail lights do not work. However, when I unlock or lock the car the turn signals and tail lights flash and when I hit the brakes the tail lights light up. I'm thinking that I overloaded the electrical system somehow, but otherwise I'm at a loss of what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Its just a fuse, there are some under the hood and also behind the removeable panel on the front passenger side of the center console. You may have to pull them one by one to find the blown one however.

These LED's draw a tiny bit of power compared to a regular bulb, I have two sets on each side tied into the parking lamp wires with no issues.

· Registered
174 Posts
Thanks,
Figured it all out, it was a fuse in the fuse box in the trunk. Got everything working and I installed the lights in the lower grill near the fog lights a la new Mercedes....pics to come soon

· Registered
174 Posts
Here it is! I really like the way they came out, I get tons of stares and have been getting lots of compliments. Another plus is that people now seem to stay the hell out my way on the highway :)

Attachments

· Registered
174 Posts
pics cont...

pics cont...

Attachments

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet. And I know what you mean about people staring, I notice people in front of me doing the head turn see what kind of car it is....... I was on the highway tonight coming home from US Cellular Field on I-55, I was in the left lane and people were moving over all the way home..... I run just the parking lights & LED's with the fogs all the time, unless Ive been at a bar, then I turn on the headlights too. I dont want to give the police a reason to pull me over and find out Ive been drinking SoCo's all night.

I've noticed a few cars that I see all the time driving around town now have LED's on them, some nice installs, some really bad. The worst was a base 4 door Cavalier with hubcaps and black plastic bumpers..... very crooked strips right on the bumper and lots of wire showing. I've seen the car before, he thinks a lot of stickers qualifies him as an import tuner..... Now he had a bad LED install to try and lure the ladies into his ride....

Another guy with a pretty tuned up VW did a nice job on his, he didnt have them a week ago.....

· Registered
911 Posts
boxfinish just go to your local autoparts store and pick up some led strips they can range form 15 to 25 bucks usually...i just threw some on my lower grill as well...ill put some pictures up here on how i wired it and everything once i get outta work

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.