Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad took it upon himself to try to replace my low beam headlight and ended up pulling the wires, which then melted. My boyfriend was a mechanic and clipped the wires for me so that they wouldn't melt further, and said I needed to get a headlight pigtail. I went to the dealer and he said they don't sell just the pigtail- I'd have to buy a full headlight assembly. That's 290 bucks...all for a burnt out headlight.
Anyone else had this problem? We've tried salvage yards and even called places an hour away--everyone says that the car is too new for them to carry the pigtail.
Also, my boyfriend says that even the headlight assembly won't come with wires..is this true?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by a pigtail. If your wires burnt due to a short, just replace the wire. You can get all the stuff you need a radio shack to do an environmental splice. (one that will not let moisture in and corrode).

It is easy to do if you have soldering iron. You can do it with a soldering iron but it's not as good.

To do it with out solder, you will need a crimp type wire splice and some shrink wrap. All available at Radio shack for about $5.

If you need instructions I can post them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure what you mean by a pigtail. If your wires burnt due to a short, just replace the wire. You can get all the stuff you need a radio shack to do an environmental splice. (one that will not let moisture in and corrode).

It is easy to do if you have soldering iron. You can do it with a soldering iron but it's not as good.

To do it with out solder, you will need a crimp type wire splice and some shrink wrap. All available at Radio shack for about $5.

If you need instructions I can post them.
i don't know, i think it's the whole piece that attaches the headlight bulb to the wires? i don't know a thing about cars.
thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
i read the my owners manual about replacing the headlight, but is it really that hard to change it? on 07 g6 you need to remove the front bumper clips under the hood, pry the plastic away while pulling the headlight assembly away from the fenders. which i could not get it to pop away from the fender, so i gave up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here is a video on how to remove g6 head lights. Just make sure you remove both little plastic stud things. The video only showes him removing one with a screw driver. It is best to remove 2 or even 3 to make it easier to pull back the upper faceia.

And for god sake DO NOT get those crappy projector headlights. They leak, poorly made and a general pain in the butt.

Here is the link, http://video.google.com/videosearch...nt=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think lampoon addressed this but it is best to put some tape on the bumper just below the head light as not to scratch the paint and do not pull the light out at and angle as it will break the little guide pin off in the back on the outer part of the light. Pull the light straight out to disconnect the pin from the fender then it will be simple to get the light out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did anyone even read what i wrote??

anyways,
yes, the connector was melted. absolutely nowhere has just the connector. after calling dozens of salvage yards, even 80 miles away, i finally got a break at one. they said they had the right part for me. got the part-turns out it was completely wrong. 80 dollars later, back to square one. but i finally found out that yes, the headlight assembly comes with the connector and wires so i'm fine now. it will cost me 290 dollars though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the wires were pulled and in turn, melted the connector. it's not melted to anything.
i could have changed the damn bulb myself if i'd have known this would have happened
Laura,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I do have a solution if you are willing to do it.

If you can't find a replacement plug you could just remove both male and female plugs from the headlight, and use what is called a dorman plug. I have had to do this on a few of my junk yard race cars.

A dorman plug (Auto Zone part number 85434) is a weather proof plug that has a male and a female end. See link.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...d=367-10&nysQFromType=&fromType=&pageNumber=7

Just scroll down to Dorman/Conduct-Tite 16-14 gauge .157 in. blue male and female bullet terminal set.

All you do is separate the plug, they come in 2 parts male and female as I said. Strip about 1/4 inch of the plastic insulation off the wire.

Twist the bare wire so it nice and straight with no strands sticking out sideways. If you have any stray strands sticking out from the twist it could touch other wires or metal and cause a short.

Insert the cleanly twisted wire into the dorman plug. NOTE: (the plastic insulation should just be touching the metal hole inside the dorman plug where the wire was inserted.)

Crimp the male end on the wires from the light assembly. If you don't have a wire crimping tool, a pair of needle nose pliers will work just fine.

Then crimp the female end on the wiring harness coming from the engine compartment the same way.

Just plug the wires together, red wire to red wire, green to green, black to black...ect as long as all the wire colors correspond or match each other.

Turn your lights on and check to make sure everything works, hi-low beam, blinkers, park lights...ect

If everything is ok with the lights I would suggest wrapping all the wires individually with electrical tape and then tie the wires all together. This will prevent any chaffing inside while driving.

This shouldn't cost more than $10 or $15 and about 1 or 2 hours of work.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
did anyone even read what i wrote??

anyways,
yes, the connector was melted. absolutely nowhere has just the connector. after calling dozens of salvage yards, even 80 miles away, i finally got a break at one. they said they had the right part for me. got the part-turns out it was completely wrong. 80 dollars later, back to square one. but i finally found out that yes, the headlight assembly comes with the connector and wires so i'm fine now. it will cost me 290 dollars though.
$290 is way too much for a headlight for this car. See link. $125 brand new.

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/pontiac-g6/headlight.html

You can get them even cheaper on ebay. I addressed this in a previous post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$290 is way too much for a headlight for this car. See link. $125 brand new.

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/pontiac-g6/headlight.html

You can get them even cheaper on ebay. I addressed this in a previous post.
thank you so much!

i have one important question though--i saw the dealership's headlight assembly--it came with the part i want. it's 290. at the auto parts stores near me, they say that they doubt their headlight assemblies for my 2007 g6 come with the part i need...
i would think that the dealership would be selling me the same assembly i could get at an auto parts store for cheaper, right???? or do only dealership ones come with the wiring and everything?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here is the deal with headlights.

Some stores sell OEM (original equipment manufacture) these are direct from GM. They are expensive. Other stores sell "OEM style) headlights that are AFTERMARKET. Allot of body shops buy these when they repair wrecked cars. The OEM style are close to the OEM but are not exactly the same. I have never owned any (OEM style) but they have to meet the DOT regulations so they should have the same quality.

If you have a look on ebay, you will find many headlights for your car at a reasonable price. I bought some the other day from lotus bob. If you look back in this thread you will see the link i left you.

The headlights I bought were from a salvage yard but were like brand new.

Just be sure what you are buying. Allot of these headlights from salvage yards have tabs or guide pins broken. Just be sure you read all the info for the part.

Here is a link for ebay G6 headlights, and yes they should come with all bulbs and wiring.

If you just need a light assembly wiring harness you may just email some of the people on ebay selling the G6 light and ask if you can buy one.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p2127.m39.l1313&_nkw=G6+head+light+OEM&_sacat=

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.