Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thing – The H11 bulbs are the low beam bulb (@ 1250 Lumens 55 watt). The H9 bulbs are the high beam bulb (@ 2100 Lumens 65 watt). In looking at the light fixture, I can see there is only 18 gauge wire in it (if that). It should have 14 gauge or at least 16 gauge. The ground wire is also 18 gauge and daisy chained. So when using the high beams, both lights on one side are on drawing 120 watts, add in the side marker and parking lamp. That is over 9 amps all through a single 18 ga wire. Not good. This is one reason the lights are dim. There are specifications for voltage drop for lengths of wire and current. Voltage is what determines the brightness of the light.

I have just been reading/watching that it is possible to modify the bulb connector and twist mount on the car to fit the H9 in the H11 location. If you wish you can modify the bulb instead. I just ordered the bulbs and sockets because the socket was melted in the car I just bought. I will also be adding a larger ground wire to carry the current. It appears that the wires to go to the fuse box in the engine compartment, I will be looking into that. Not the longest run, but the passenger side has a longer go of it, but at least the grounds terminate to the chassis on the pass side. Another fun fact??? The Fog Lights use H11 bulbs…Hmmm. Rockauto, H9 bulbs are $5 or less each! +$6.99 shipping.
Shine On!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I modified the plugs of H9 so they could be used in the low beam sockets. My low beams are now better than with the H11 bulbs. All four of my headlight bulbs are PIAA H9. These were installed over a year ago and so far no problems. I have a feeling that much of the melted socket problems are due to people installing 100 watt or higher "performance" bulbs. I have a pair of Hella H4 100/80 watt bulbs that I was going to install in my old Prelude until I read that Hella instructs you to upgrade your headlight wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts