Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else who has the original headlights find that they don't light up the road much? Mine only light up a few feet in front of me unless I put them on bright. I guess I'm kind of used to it, but my husband has to strain his eyes just to see. It was actually a debate he & I had about it last night that prompted me to post this. He was driving my car last night & he said you can't tell me others are happy with the headlights on these cars. Then he told me to post on here & see if others have this issue. I know i've seen where a lot of you all get those halo lights. My questions are how much are they? Where do you get them? And do they help? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
911 Posts
you still have halogens in? try adjusting the aim of the headlights...your manual explains exactly what to do to aim them properly. i don't think i've heard of anyoneon here having as poor light output as you're describing even with halogens in the stock housing. if your aim is good then i suggest going HID in the stock housing or, like you said, get Eagle Eye's. i think they're $230+.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I still have the ones that came from the factory. I'll have to get my manual out and look over it. Do you know where the hid or eagle eyes can be purchased? Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked at my headlights & I have a dumb question. My bulb is covered by a silver cap is that normal on all cars or is it supposed to be took off?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
The silver cap is normal so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. It is present in the low beams, but not the high beams for obvious reasons. You are the first person to complain about the headlight output of the stock headlights so we are going to attribute that to two things: bulbs and adjustment.

If you feel like your headlights don't output enough then follow these steps at night:

-Find a vertical wall and 40 feet of straight pavement.
-Park your car close to the wall.
-There is a circle dot on the lenses of the headlight. Make a parallel mark as the same height as that dot on the wall.
- Reverse your car 25 feet back
- Adjust your headlights so that the light output is 2-2.5 inches below that mark you made on the wall. You can adjust them by using an Allen wrench on the metal rod that sticks up from the headlight assembly. You will have to pop your hood.

Bulbs:
- Get some Sylvania silverstar H11 bulbs. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H11-ST-BP-TWIN/dp/B00318NQL8[/ame]
- Make sure you wipe the bulbs with rubbing alcohol before tightening them into the reflector socket. It keeps them from prematurely failing.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
The silver cap is normal so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. It is present in the low beams, but not the high beams for obvious reasons. You are the first person to complain about the headlight output of the stock headlights so we are going to attribute that to two things: bulbs and adjustment.

If you feel like your headlights don't output enough then follow these steps at night:

-Find a vertical wall and 40 feet of straight pavement.
-Park your car close to the wall.
-There is a circle dot on the lenses of the headlight. Make a parallel mark as the same height as that dot on the wall.
- Reverse your car 25 feet back
- Adjust your headlights so that the light output is 2-2.5 inches below that mark you made on the wall. You can adjust them by using an Allen wrench on the metal rod that sticks up from the headlight assembly. You will have to pop your hood.

Bulbs:
- Get some Sylvania silverstar H11 bulbs. http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H11-ST-BP-TWIN/dp/B00318NQL8
- Make sure you wipe the bulbs with rubbing alcohol before tightening them into the reflector socket. It keeps them from prematurely failing.
I totally agree with everything except the silverstar bulbs. YES they are brighter. But they last only about 1/4 the time of the stock bulbs. Don't believe me, look at the back of the packaging. I had them in for less than a year before they got dim and burned out.

I put the stock level bulbs back in and have not noticed a huge difference in output, they just last a lot longer.:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I will try what you suggested. I actually don't have that much problem with them, but my husband does. I'm thinking maybe it's from where he used to his big truck and it sits higher so it makes it look brighter...just a thought. He hates my car more than anything in the world so I think he's just looking for something wrong with it.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Trucks have better light output since they sit higher and the fog lights actually act like a second pair of headlights compared to cars where they are basically there for looks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it's a long shot, but do you all think there's any chance the dealership would check my aim on the headlights since it's under warranty? I know it's probably not hard to do but I'm mechanically challenged lol and I would hate to take a chance of messing it up even more. I tried to drive home last night from a get together and couldn't see without my lights on bright.

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer. They could also double check to make sure that they lights are getting the right amount of power.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll call them tues. And ask. I hope this doesn't come off as dumb, but what controls the power or what does it mean if there isn't enough? I think I'll make a short video tonight to post so maybe someone can tell me if their stock lights are the same, but I can't imagine they would be. I never really drive at night but when I do I like to see :)

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know all the technical stuff, but I'd imagine if the lights aren't getting enough power they wouldn't be able to put out enough light. That is just an assumption though and I'm quite possibly just making an ass out of myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im going to be picking up some Angel Eyes here soon. Yes they run close to $300 for the pair. (they include bulbs)

As of now though, I picked up a pair of HID's from DDMTuning.com I got the 35W 5000 series. My brother has the 35W 6000 series but I just dont like the hint of blue in them.

DDMTuning HID KIT

35W H11 5000series (i did not get a harness, error eliminator, or adaptor cables)

What you see in the picture on that page is exactly what you get.

When I get my foglights, I will be picking up a pair of H9's(??) in the 35w 5000series for those as well.

DO NOT get 55W foglights, they will more than likely melt the housings.

G6Whitie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here is a picture of my lights. I took one on dim and one on bright. Please tell me if they look ok from the pictures. I have trouble seeing with them, but wondering if it's just me or does something really look wrong? Thanks for looking.
Dim:

Bright:

·
Registered
108 Posts
To me, they almost look like they are pointed too far towards the ground.

G6Whitie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I can only see when the lights are on bright. When I have to dim them for passing cars I have to really strain my eyes to see. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
The alignment can be changed by popping the hood and looking right above the headlight there is an adjuster that you just turn with an allen wrench. Also, I noticed on my left headlight it is not completely sealed and when it's cold it fogs up and reduces the brightness so see if that is an issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called the dealer and their going to check my headlights tomorrow. They said adjusting them isn't included in the warranty, but if they're not busy it won't cost me nothing. If they are it will be no more than $15. I also heard a rattle sound under the hood that their going to check out. I didn't notice it until I put in E85 but it could not be related. I can't really tell where it's coming from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just went to the dealership today and had my headlights adjusted. I wanted to share my after pictures. They're a lot better now than they were. I'm still a little confused as to why there is a shadowed area on the drivers side, but I'm happy. At least I can drive at night now and not have to worry about running off the road or anything. Thanks for looking.

Dim:

Bright:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts