Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 G6 Convertable GT blows cold air if the car is idling. When the accelerator is pushed, the heat comes on with a vengance. Is it just a matter of low coolant or could there be other issues. I have about 29,000 miles on it.

Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont think so

I found this forum because of the same issue. First off a vehicle with under 100K shouldn't necessarily have low coolant issues! Where is it going?

I have come across several other sites that say it could be intake manifold, clogged heater core.....

Aztek15 - You are still under warrantly correct? You should take it in and see what the real issue is and then let me know :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
The reason I said low coolant level is that the system is closed. If you do have low coolant level, then the coolant is probably leaking. The coolant tank should be at least half full and the coolant is an orange color, so you will be able to check the level easily.
If you cannot see any physical leaks ( orange stuff on the ground ) , the biggest suspect is usually the intake manifold leaking coolant or a bad head gasket. Both are covered under warranty and I think the manifold problem is covered under a TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I took it in to a GM dealership,they put dye in the coolant but could not find any leaks. It is covered by warranty, just maddening to have to take it back in continually without the issue being resolved.

When I change the direction of the output, there also seems to be a lag of a second or two before it switches from floor to defrost. Could this be from a clog?

Thanks, I'll look in to it some more.

Great advice, thank you very much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The lag when you change from defrost to heater direction is normal.
Keep an eye on the level of the coolant tank. As I said, its a closed system, if the coolant drops down, it must be going somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The other thing you can try is replacing the cap. I went to Autozone and got a cap for 7 bucks and made sure that the coolant level was up where it should as va3sf stated.

This is my wife's car so unless I ask her she doesn't tell me but I thought I noticed that it was better when we were driving around this weekend.

No as far as where the coolant went in the first place???????

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened with my old car. Someone put the wrong coolant in. If the red and green coolants mix they make a paste and it clogs everything. So make sure that didn't happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Coolant color

This happened with my old car. Someone put the wrong coolant in. If the red and green coolants mix they make a paste and it clogs everything. So make sure that didn't happen.
The color of the coolant does not matter as long as its Dextron compatible.
It will say on the coolant container if it is compatible with GM Dextron.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts