Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my dad and I are trying to figure out why my heater is not working in my 2006 Pontiac G6 with a 3500 v6 engine.. One problem could be if the water is getting hot enough. We wondering what should the temperature gauge reach in order for it to be hot enough for the Heater to work

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok so my dad and I are trying to figure out why my heater is not working in my 2006 Pontiac G6 with a 3500 v6 engine.. One problem could be if the water is getting hot enough. We wondering what should the temperature gauge reach in order for it to be hot enough for the Heater to work
That engine is designed to run at 195 degrees! Just a fraction below the last line before the 225 mark. That is when the Thermostat should be fully open. Did you get any OBD2 codes?? Do you have a (Check Engine) light ON? If so take it to a O Reilly's, AutoZone or whatever who do FREE scan checks to get those codes! If your engine is not getting up to temp (running cold) that usually means a stuck open Thermostat. You can't just go by the dash gauge! Feel the hoses to and from the engine. Do they get too hot to touch and are they the same temp? You might also have a failed ETC sensor. Engine Temperature Control sensor. That is a common one on these cars. You can check the sensor with a DMM to see of it is faulty. But before we go any further you really need to get those Codes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh make sure your Blower Fan is working! If your gauge is showing close to that last mark that means that side of things are okay. If the Blower Fan is not working that means it could be a FUSE issue. There is also a problem with the Blower Resistor board on these cars. That is right under the glove box. Do you have an Owners Manual? That will tell you where that Fuse is located. I also suggest getting a Chilton's repair manual for these cars. Between those two reference materials you will get 80% of what you need to know about servicing your G6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe bleed out the cooling system screw by the bypass hose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the best way to find out why the heater isn't working (some of which have already been mentioned above):
start the car
wait 10 minutes
open up the hood
touch the upper radiator hose (is it hot?)
touch the heater core inlet/outlet hose (is it warm?)
enter the cabin and turn your heater on high
(do you hear air flowing?)
(is it warm or cold?)
(select different air outlets. Does the air flow in the right mode?)
(select AC instead. Does the fan under the hood come on? is the air cool or warm?)

Conclusion:
you have a non working water pump if your heater
blows air but it is cold

you have heater core damage if heat isn't
transferred into cabin but heater core hoses under
hood are hot (most likely leaky heater core)

you have door blend or blower switch or resistor
damage if air isn't flowing

you have Thermostat or ECT damage if gauge isn't
reading right (gauge isn't where it should be (200
225) (of course as was mentioned a scan reader will
tell you the exact reading with respect to ECT)
Let us know what you find

James

·
Registered
34 Posts
If fan blows, but no hot air most likely with 3.5 engine is it could be low on coolant. Heater can’t blow hot air if coolant is not circulating through heater core. Low coolant will trap air in these engines and it will need to be filled and bled out. Coolant has to go uphill (higher than the engine block) through the heater hoses and then back downhill into your heater core inside the car. Perfect spot for air to get trapped. No heater output is usually the first sign of low coolant in these cars. They won’t overheat if they are just a little low.
With that said, if low on coolant you need to find leak. Most likely it’s the water pump or a gasket or a bypass hose (don’t rule out the plastic radiator tanks attached to each side of radiator core). Need to inspect the engine or take to a shop if you are not familiar with this engine family. Low coolant could indicate a more major problem (intake or head gasket) or as simple as water pump seal starting to go.
-All the above info only applies if it’s low on coolant. Even if there is coolant in overflow reservoir, the air bleed procedure needs to be done to ensure no air is trapped.
-As stated by others, make sure the air mode and blend functions switch when you command them from the HVAC control. It could be an electrical or mechanical problem with the heater case or control.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition, anytime you notice a Low Coolant Level you have a LEAK!! You MUST find out where that coolant is going and FIX it! These cars use DexCool and if a lot of air mixes with DexCool it produces SLUDGE! Sludge build up in the Heater Core, Radiator, Thermostat and engine coolant passages in the engine block will add up to poor cooling and heating. It is VERY difficult to get that sludge out if you let things go too long. So find the Leak and then Fill the cooling system properly! These engines need to be "burped" to get ALL the air our OUT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts