Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 G6; 30K miles. Now that warmer weather is here have started to drive with windows down. At about 30 MPH start hearing this noise that sounds like the a helicopter. Gets louder at higher speeds. Almost seems like a wind resistence noise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same problem a while ago, my brother was in the back seat and there was a really weird sound at first I thought it was a flat tire, but later realized that it was because the window was down. I firgured it was the seat belt but haven't heard it sense then.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
all cars do that which have 4 windows that roll down.
Its the dynamics of buffeting high winds in a vacuum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You've never had this happen on a different car before? It's very common and due to the air dynamics. This is vortex shedding and the reason that AC is probably better for gas mileage to use than open windows when you are driving at freeway speeds. There is a lot of drag from that moving air.

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
i rolld down my back windows every now and then for the hell of it while on the highway the noise is kind of trippy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope never had this noise with any other car

Just glad that it is not something mechanical. I kind of thought it was wind related; just sounded like it. Kids think it is cool!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.