Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is john and im from grand rapids MI. Bought a 2008 GXP sedan about 4 months ago and i love it. hoping to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
638 Posts
welcome, im a lil south of ya in the Kalamazoo/Portage area, with 2 09 GXP coupes, better get a transmission cooler on that thing ASAP, the transmissions in the 07/08 3.6 G6s are pretty prone to breaking

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Welcome to the club. 09 GXP here. Makes a fun daily driver!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
113 Posts
better get a transmission cooler on that thing ASAP, the transmissions in the 07/08 3.6 G6s are pretty prone to breaking
What exactly do you mean by "breaking"? What happens to them? They overheat a lot?

Are the trannys the same in the 3.5 as the 3.6??

Thanks!

WELCOME tireguy!

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, why would i want a tranny cooler on that for? its not a racer car, what are the issues with it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
the problem is from the factory because the coolant normally runs 220+ it causes the transmission to run arounf 220-230F all the time in the summer which is in the danger zone, and that causes the 3-5-R waveplate in the transmission to fail........ just about EVERYONE I know with an 07 or 08 3.6 and 6T70 have had their waveplate break at 40k miles or later the problem was supposed to be fixed by 09 model year but I DID have to rebuild a trans for an 09 GXP with 40k miles....... so I guess unless you want your transmission to end up like these then I guess you better get a transmission cooler and a good tune on the transmission to make it shift faster and harder so you don't go breaking the thing.... ive personally rebuilt 3 6T70s of my friends already meanwhile I have over 151k miles on mine with no torqqu management the most aggressive shifting possible and a big transmission cooler and I have o issues out of either of my GXPs

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yea i don't know about all that. sounds like someone is out beating on their car. you would think if the car needed a trans cooler it would have came like that from the factory. Anyone else out there ever hear of anything like this? Any other GXP owners having tranny issues? 74,000 mile on mine and it runs like a champ, no issues at all.

·
Registered
638 Posts
nah driving like a grandpa is what breaks them, the transmission wears more driving around like grandma than it does pedal to the floor stoplight to stoplight

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a 2008 gxp. Transmission gave on it at 62k. Wave plate failure. Didnt really beat on it either. Got a new one and had it tuned and it worked perfectly until I traded it at 98k. Listen to brian. He knows his stuff

·
Registered
113 Posts
nah driving like a grandpa is what breaks them, the transmission wears more driving around like grandma than it does pedal to the floor stoplight to stoplight
What?? If you really believe that I have a bridge for sale you might want to buy!

Hard driving takes a toll on ANY car, especially on the suspension, brakes and TRANSMISSION.
For one example, when you drive hard the tranny gets hotter and more shifting means more wear ect.....

Keep in mind the G6 wasn't designed to take a lot of abusive driving like a Porshe or a Vette or any expensive sports car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a 2008 gxp. Transmission gave on it at 62k. Wave plate failure. Didnt really beat on it either. Got a new one and had it tuned and it worked perfectly until I traded it at 98k. Listen to brian. He knows his stuff
Not saying he doesn't "know his stuff" regarding some things but he's wrong about hard driving.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Wow. SexyG6 has some good experience with the G6. Maybe at least give him some credit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
638 Posts
hmm lets see with the transmission driving like grandma wear it more, wanna know why? under light throttle the transmission command lower pressure and longer timed shift, what does this do? it slips the clutched and doesn't lock to torque converter and that means there is more friction, more heat and more wear, pedal to the floor means harder faster shift so the clutches slip less produce less heat and don wear as much the ONLY reason auto manufactuers make smooth shifting transmissions is because the general public has no mechanical knowledge and will assume there is something wrong if it shifts hard or in general bitch and complain about it, the best thing for a transmission given the hard parts can handle to torque is instant high pressure shifts........as for the engines, driving around like grandma isn't so great for them either you gotta open it up to ceep the carbon buildup off of everything and alow the oil to get hot enough to burn off the contaminants so that proper lubrication can be achieved and sludge doesn't buildup

funny how one of my gxps I have put 151k miles on 149k with NO torque management over 800 passes and burnouts at the track, road courses and drove hard 24/7 and haven't had ANY issues at all minus a set of cams that didn't quite have proper clearance and coincidentally slaped the pistion under LIGHT acceleration cuz of the VVT advanceing them too much under light throttle.........not to mention ive been running about 100hp more than from the factory with not a single problem out of my car...... where as other people I know that baby their car and drive it like grandma have wave plates break stretched timing chains etc.......

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quick, hard shifts are better for the plates in the transmission, but harder on the gears. Slow, soft shifts are better on the gears, but it wears out the plates.

Auto trannys generally have pretty tough gears, the plates are usually where they fail. If you don't mind the harder shifts then you're transmission will likely last longer...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.