Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Scodepa
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Just purchased my first G6 after about three months of shopping. Had a trailblazer, but decided to downsize. Wanted to go with the G6 a) good get up and go straight off the factory, b) the ability to mod is good, c) it gets better MPG than my SUV did. Will in the future be looking to do some modifications to it to give it some more giddyup, and will need some help from the more auto inclined on this forum. :)

Looking forward to talking to everyone here! Will post some pics shortly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Congrats on picking one up and welcome to the forum! What were the specifics of your vehicle? Year, package, color, etc.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
When you are ready for more power look me up ;) WELCOME!

·
Scodepa
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all very much!
It's a 2006 base model with the V6 in it - not a whole lot of pretty options, i figure most of them i will add on at a later date.

I will definitely be looking you guys up when i'm ready for, as our fellow detroiter Tim Allen would say, "more power!"

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
Thank you all very much!
It's a 2006 base model with the V6 in it - not a whole lot of pretty options, i figure most of them i will add on at a later date.

I will definitely be looking you guys up when i'm ready for, as our fellow detroiter Tim Allen would say, "more power!"
You are definitely in luck then as I'm the only one who tunes 05/06's ;)

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you are ready for more power look me up ;) WELCOME!
Hello all...

I just bought a 2009 G6 GXP and am very interested in adding more power in the near future.

Its actually a funny story about nhow I got the car, I was in the market for a new ride and my Dad knew this so when a buddy of his won this car with a hole in one at a golf tourney, he asked him if he wanted to sell the ride.

I live in Vancouver, Canada so the car retailed for 35K here. With taxes it came to 41K. I offered the guy 20K cash and he was good with it.

Its not a ride I would have normally bought myself but I knew it was unique and could be fun with the 3.6 litre engine. The paint is very cool too seems to have some silver flake in it like my old 2003 Gti Anniversary did.

The interior is nice, two tone leather seems to be of a decent quality and the bluetooth/mp3 options are great. Never had them before. I have rad reviews about the quality of the interior being that of a rental car and i understand what theyre saying but if the fact is the interior looks durable to me which is important and if kept in good condition still looks good to me.

The interface might not be flashy but most of the wanted features are there, outside temperature, oil life, trip A and B, distance to empty etc. and the dash lights up a nice red when the lights are on which contrasts nicely with the dark interior. POwer heated seats are a nice feature as well and the sunroof is there as well but its a shitty one button operation and the front visor (sunroof) gets loud at high speeds whens it open.

The looks of the car have grown on me considerably. I loved the silver grill work at first but the hood scoop (many think unnecessary) took some time to grow on me. My favorite view of the car is from the front left as you can see the tail and front end work nicely and honestly I think it looks rather stunning. You can still see the ass end of the car and its higher rear end which gives the car that agressive back to front stance.

The 18 inch rims are a very cool dark chrome colour but I still cant make out the material theyre made of. They certainly suit the car and help give it that almost "baby batmobile" look.

The engine is solid but it does lack the wow I was expecting with a GM engine of this supposed calibre. The 3.6 L V6 and 260 or so horsepower seems to be lacking IMO and some exhaust help is going to be needed if I want it to sound more like the car already looks.

Oh ya that remote auto start feature is pretty cool too and Ive asked people how my voice sounds when using the bluetooth fetaure for my cell and they says it sounds great so its good to know its working on the other end.

Lastly I have the tiptronic feature on ym car and I have to say it's so-so. I recently drove one of those Hyundai Genesis cars and they had the paddle shifters going on and I loved it. Much funner to use IMO. But in order to really feel some of the power the GXP has i use the tiptronic often and I do find the car pulls better than my GTI did (both front wheel drive) which is impressive.

So...

Ive been reading about some mods for these cars but dont want to mess with the warranty so what do you guys think would be the best way to go about it??

Exhaust first??

Thanks...

·
Scodepa
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GXP huh? nice. I had my eye on one of those, but the guy was asking a kings ransom for it.

But that is one question i had. What are the best ways to add power to the car without stretching the transmission too much. Does a dual exhaust really help? I've seen these tuning kits you can buy for $300 that supposedly add HP, torque, and gas mileage, then of course the cold air intake. Also ram air hoods as well. What are really the best ways to increase the potency of the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Tune, Air intake, headers, exhaust, motor mounds...those are the only ones i can think of right now. I'm sure the more experienced 6ers on here have more tips for you. I have seen a custom turbo g6 but it was NOT cheap haha

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
GXP huh? nice. I had my eye on one of those, but the guy was asking a kings ransom for it.

But that is one question i had. What are the best ways to add power to the car without stretching the transmission too much. Does a dual exhaust really help? I've seen these tuning kits you can buy for $300 that supposedly add HP, torque, and gas mileage, then of course the cold air intake. Also ram air hoods as well. What are really the best ways to increase the potency of the vehicle?
I've got you covered on the tune and I'm local to boot! :)

·
Scodepa
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know, i got lucky!! I figured there would be a few gear heads from the great old D. So let me ask, is there a benefit of doing any tuning or any real mods for our MI winters? or is the spring the best time to do most of that stuff?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts