Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchaced a 2005 G6 and am having an occasional cranking noise when starting. I have taken it back to the dealer 3 times and they cant figure it out. It sounds like the engine is getting stuck when starting but then catches within 15 sec. help me please.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you had it back to the dealer under warranty for the same problem. They should fix the problem even if it is out of warranty as the problem has been addressed and not fixed.

I think what you are describing is a hung start and I think there may be a TSB or technical service bulletin on that issue. I know there is a TSB on my car but mine is a 2006.

You may want to look into this.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
most the time the dealer's don't want to mess with "annoyances" They take 2 looks at it an shrub their shoulders. but I would tell them to fix it no matter how long it takes to figure it out. As a buyer from their dealership and still under warranty, they have to fix the problem under GM's policy. Being a GM dealer.

or, take it to another dealer in the next day or so.. have two take a look at it under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealership took it in for a third time but I don't belive they even touched it. I went in with a bulletin that another GM mechanic ( a friend of mine gave me) and now not only frustrated but a little annoyed with them, very sternly asked that they try again based on the bullitin. The end result - the paperwork matched the 2nd time I brought it in including kms, PO#, it even said that they gave me a rental car-I took the shuttle. The only difference on the papperwork was the times and even that was wrong. And to top it off, the car was parked in the exact same spot I left it. Now my warrenty is up, Is there anything else left that I can do?

·
Breaks Stuff
303 Posts
There is a TSB for that for harsh/long starts I believe its just a reflash, have them check for calibration updates for the PCM :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
TSB for starting

Bulletin No.: 03-06-03-001D

Date: August 02, 2007

INFORMATION
Subject:
Starter Cranks After Key Is Released (Normal Condition)

Models:
2003-2008 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Attention: This bulletin ONLY applies to vehicles with PCM/ECM controlled starters.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-03-001C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some customers may comment that the engine starter will continue to run after the key is released.

For the 2003 through 2008 model years, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the starter relay based on input from the key switch. When the ignition switch is held in the start position for 0.4 seconds, the PCM/ECM start timer is activated. Once the start timer is activated, the PCM/ECM will continue to crank the starter until either the engine starts or a no start time limit is reached.

Occasionally, the fuel pump module will take one or two seconds to build fuel pressure. Often this will occur after the vehicle sits overnight. During some vehicle starts, the customer may release the ignition switch key before the engine actually starts. When this occurs, the engine will then continue to crank until the engine starts or the no start time limit is reached.

This is a normal condition and no repairs should be attempted for this condition.

This is the one I found any one have another?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.