Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am coming to you guys for some advice. I am looking at buying an 06 GTP Convertible with 133k on it.

Here is the Craigslist ad: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/mogadore-2006-pontiac-g6-gtp-hard-top/6830137689.html

Just went and looked at, the body and interior looks like brand new, but under the hood is a different story, here are the known issues:

1. Low Coolant light is on and it appears its leaking coolant. I think the coolant hoses need replaced.

2. The valve cover gaskets are leaking.

3. The brake pedal felt a little soft.

4. Making a rattling noise from the rear, seller says it needs struts (struts up front are new).

5. The driver side roof latch isn't working. He has located one at a local salvage yard. Other than that we cycled the roof and it appears to be fine.

6. Needs a new set of tires.

This isn't going to be my daily driver, just feeling nostalgic for Pontiacs (my first 3 cars were Pontiacs) and want a convertible for the handful of sunny days we have in Ohio. He is asking $3800 which I would have gladly handed over if not for the issues. I am guessing $1,000 would cover the radiator and valve gasket issues. No clue I struts. The roof latch really isn't much of a problem, I only would drive it when it's nice out. Tires are easy to figure out.

So let me hear some opinions, should I buy it and how much should I offer?

Mar

·
2007 gt retractable
299 Posts
there are NO new parts available for the top.you might get lucky and the top doesn't break.the car is basically a chevy malibu so other parts are available.the low coolant might be a blown head gasket or more likely a bad hose.

·
Registered
187 Posts
2006 gtp s/b a 3900 liter not a 3800 liter! The one and only year the htc was manufactured under the gtp badging. I think about 3800 gtp htc’s were produced. Maybe someone else could tighten that nuber up for us all?
Take a good flashlight and look around the intake manifold gasket for signs of coolant leakage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ON guys I got impulsive and offered him $2k I think another $2k can correct all the issues and it will be a pretty good car for $4k.

Still looking for thoughts from everyone thougj.

·
08 convertible
218 Posts
It all depends on how much of the work you can do yourself. If you plan on doing none of the work yourself, then no, I wouldn't buy it. A car with those problems was likely owned by someone who didn't maintan it well and it's likely to have or develop other issues. I would hold off for one in perfect working order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts