Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at 2 different CAI for my car but i dont know which is better to purchase. its either the K&N 69-7202TTK Typhoon or the Injen SP7030. Could someone give me some input. I tried researching both but the only one i could find good info on was the K&N Typhoon. it mentioned a 5.22 horsepower increase but im still unlucky on finding info on the Injen Intake. Help Please:( And one more thing.....are these two companies the only ones who make CAI intakes for the 3.5L G6 GT? If there are more please let me know:confused:

· Registered
63 Posts
honestly they're both ripoffs for the price and you wont feel 5 horsepower to the wheels unless you get it tuned. the ebay version of the injen one will work very well, the k&n's half-assed heatshield doesnt even fit well

· Registered
46 Posts
honestly they're both ripoffs for the price and you wont feel 5 horsepower to the wheels unless you get it tuned. the ebay version of the injen one will work very well, the k&n's half-assed heatshield doesnt even fit well
x2

Without a tune on our cars, the CAI does nothing but allow some colder air to reach the engine at speed. The straight tubing from the TB to the MAF sensor gets so hot that it in turn heats up the air anyway. The stock airbox will also have this issue of being heatsoaked and warming up cold air, so by removing the airbox and putting the intake into the fender you're going to allow some colder air to get to the engine, but not enough of a difference to allow for a HP gain.

If you wanted to see 5bhp from your CAI you'd have to relocate your battery and run your intake down the driver side so that the air coming into the engine isn't being heated up at all.

· Registered
591 Posts
If you wanted to see 5bhp from your CAI you'd have to relocate your battery and run your intake down the driver side so that the air coming into the engine isn't being heated up at all.
Couldn't agree with you more, I've always been curious as to why GM would design an intake to go right across the hottest part of the engine.

· Registered
46 Posts
Well.... One day I was discussing some ideas regarding the intake and relocatiom, etc, with a friend of mine. He is pretty keen on autos, slightly more so then me for sure :) but he put it to me this way, "ya know, maybe GM knew what they were doin when they put it like that".

He was only throwing it out there, but it is somewhat of a valid point. They could of easily put the battery on the passenger side and the intake on the driver side.

Now, if I keep my car forever will I eventually relocate my intake to my driver side fenderwell. Yes.

· Registered
591 Posts
Maybe they knew what they were doing, but why? I'd like to hear a reasonable explaination of why it couldn't have been switched with the battery. It would have saved room in the engine compartment, which gives more room for the air to circulate, which keeps the engine cooler, and not to mention, less parts to put on the car due to it being a shorter distance to the air filter.

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Maybe they knew what they were doing, but why? I'd like to hear a reasonable explaination of why it couldn't have been switched with the battery. It would have saved room in the engine compartment, which gives more room for the air to circulate, which keeps the engine cooler, and not to mention, less parts to put on the car due to it being a shorter distance to the air filter.

Maybe it is an existing engine design and its cheaper to leave it where it is rather than re-design to add a few HP.

· Registered
46 Posts
Europe? i always thought it was holden based like the g8.

but now that you mention it, i can think on a few european vehicles that remind me of the g6.....

meh........ you're probably right on about the existing design bs.

· Registered
46 Posts
well yea.... the epsilon is used in a mostly european cars, except for one cadillac is memory serves...

a saab, vauxhaul both used the epsilon platform first (delta i think it is for gm's coding)

*i think*

· Registered
63 Posts
exhaust tends to give everyone a big smile on their face as they drive around, well as some actual hp gains =D

if you're willing to get a little dirty and in your engine bay get the motor mount inserts. cheaper than the intake/exhaust and actually more effective (from what i can tell)

if you REALLY want an improvement get a tune. your local dyno shop with hptuners can do it or you can order one (westers or tune time is a great investment). it will make a huge difference getting both your tranny and engine control units revamped. its more expensive but well worth it

edit: but i have an intake and i do like it, it gives the engine a much throatier sound and throttle response is a little bit faster

· Registered
63 Posts
your front and back motor/transmission mounts (since the engine and tranny are connected they support both) more or less control rock (as well as the dampener on the passenger side, looks like a hydraulic piston...)

you can purchase inserts that fill in the hollow portions of your front and back motor mounts. you will have some more vibration in car (think like a v8 mustang that slightly shakes while you're sitting at a light or something, just not as severe) but you will get much faster throttle reponse and it feels like more power... nothing to prove anything but i love the way driving with them in feels compared to before

before

after

there are two versions, race and street... the race are harder the street are softer (less vibration, but less resistance to movement on the engine)

the company that makes them is called racing line performance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.