Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
2009 Pontiac G6 GT 96K miles.
Replaces the complete strut assembly yesterday, due to extreme wear on the tires. The car was also making "rubbing noise" with slight vibrate when making really close turns (when parking) going to take it to get aligned on Monday. However when replacing the struts completely we stripped out the stabilizing bar on the passenger side. We put a new one on with no problem at all.
Upon driving the car for the first time since the repair, on the drivers side there is now a "popping, thunking noise" (not sure how to describe it) when there are any types of bumps in the road at all.
Does anyone have any ideas at all?
Do you think I need to replace the stabilizing bar on the drivers side?

·
4,052 Posts
The rubbng sound at close turns almost sounds like a drive axle problem. And the tire wear sound more like a ball joint or control arm bushing problem, which can also be the popping sound. If they are bad the shop probably wont do the alingment. Were you having any other problems with the struts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the main problem was the wear on the tires, they are "choppy". The popping noise didn't start untill after we replaced the strut. To justify the sounds, it almost sounds like when you take a tube and put a ball in it and shake it up and down a little. (sorry dont know a lot about cars, roommates work on them, just trying to figure out what I can suggest to try before taking it into a shop and paying tons). Its drive able, just not sure what the sound is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm assuming you probably got this fixed, but it sounds like the strut piston isnt torqued properly on the mount. If its not torqued right it can make all kinds of popping, clunking, and grinding noises (know from experience).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts