Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading consumer reviews and the main issue I'm seeing is with the power steering and it even resulting in accidents. I have a one year old and this will be our primary vehicle, so obviously, I'm concerned.

I've been hunting for a G6 for a little over a month and have the money to pay outright. The one i found in my price range with a clean carfax is a 2006 and I dont know if i should buy it or keep looking for a newer year with more miles to stay in my price range.

I went to carcomplaints.com and the 2006 is notorious for being a money pit (More so than any other year!--I was really surprise considering the 2005 was the first year it was produced). I need some feed back from you guys. Whats your opinion on the 2006 G6? Whats your experience with them and are all the rumors on it being a lemon true? Is the 2006 the worst year to purchase?? :( Please help!!

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
what is your actual price range?
getting any 06 will be somewhat risky. they are what, 6 year old cars?

i would suggest getting extended warranty.

ive never heard of any issues with power steering...theres a "clunk" caused by the i shaft or w.e but ive never heard of anything serious like that causing accidents and whatnot.

imo the used g6 market is good for the all round decent aspect in all categories....that i was looking at in a car anyway.

im on my 2nd 06 g6. never have had any serious issues or failures or anything.

leaky sunroof ( simple fix...drainage tube comes lose )
clunk - just annoying sometimes at best
the odd time it has a studder when it starts
warping rotors...should be expected tho if it is on its original rotors lol

another thing i suggest is getting one that is from an actual gm dealership...just more peace of mind over a small independent one or a shady one...they are still a business to make money but they will have usually higher standards.

and if you can get a gm certified used w.e they call it one. it goes through a pretty in depth inspection, it actually costs the dealership a fair amount of money to do it as well ( also will bring the price up obv )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My price range is $5000-$7000 so ive been seeing quite a few 05's and 06's with under or close to 100K. Preferrably a 4cyl. Most with the higher miles wont be GM certified, that ive found. I need something reliable, decent on gas, but most of all, safe. And if it looks cool, thats always a plus ;)

Go to the website, http://carcomplaints.com and do a search on the G6.... Its scary. And this wasnt the first ive heard of this power steering issue, but i figured alot of it was just people being frusterated and exaggerating, but now im reading that its actually caused accidents and injury.

Thanks for your reassurance, and i will absolutely be looking into an extended warranty if i still decide to purchase.

Anyone else have input??

·
Registered
21 Posts
G6KT, loved our 2006 G6 at first. I've had Pontiacs before, and loved those. But contrary to Dave3 who hasn't heard of steering problems, they are real for the G6. Power steering ELECTRIC assist motor appears to be the culprit. Not all G6's have electric assist. Power steering failed on ours unexpectedly and intermittantly, no warning, at 16,000 miles. Car is almost unsteerable when it happens. GM's answer was $825 replacement for electric power assist motor. After 4 days of my phoning GM daily, they agreed to replace electric assist motor for labor only, $ 225. There was a recall issued for 2005 G6 and Chevy Cobalt, and appears to be a problem for 2006 as well, but GM does not agree yet. National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA) is keeper of all statistics regarding problems and recalls. Again, only electric power assist design seems to be the problem here, unless you ask GM, and then there is no problem according to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G6KT, loved our 2006 G6 at first. I've had Pontiacs before, and loved those. But contrary to Dave3 who hasn't heard of steering problems, they are real for the G6. Power steering ELECTRIC assist motor appears to be the culprit. Not all G6's have electric assist. Power steering failed on ours unexpectedly and intermittantly, no warning, at 16,000 miles. Car is almost unsteerable when it happens. GM's answer was $825 replacement for electric power assist motor. After 4 days of my phoning GM daily, they agreed to replace electric assist motor for labor only, $ 225. There was a recall issued for 2005 G6 and Chevy Cobalt, and appears to be a problem for 2006 as well, but GM does not agree yet. National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA) is keeper of all statistics regarding problems and recalls. Again, only electric power assist design seems to be the problem here, unless you ask GM, and then there is no problem according to them.
I was looking at 2007 G6. Do you know if they have the same electric assist?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a TSB (10183) that will replace a faulty electric power steering assist up to 100,000 miles. Not sure why that's not a sticky somewhere. Maybe it is, i'm new here :)

here's the official Doc / Letter to owners.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2010/CSC-10033624-5786.pdf

Not technically a "recall" -- but its an coverage adjustment

Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : SB-10183 Date of Bulletin : JUL 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033624
Component : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Summary :
SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT-POWER STEERING ASSIST. SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL INPUT SIGNALS WITHIN THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I have an 06 G6 GTP and have over 100,000 miles on it and have not had any issues outside of tires, brakes, fluid changes, strut mount ($23 for me to replace) and an oxygen sensor ($80 for me to replace). ALL cars can have power steering failure, ALL cars can have a problem cause an accident. Look at what TOYOTA just went through with the gas pedal issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an 06 G6 GTP and have over 100,000 miles on it and have not had any issues outside of tires, brakes, fluid changes, strut mount ($23 for me to replace) and an oxygen sensor ($80 for me to replace). ALL cars can have power steering failure, ALL cars can have a problem cause an accident. Look at what TOYOTA just went through with the gas pedal issues.
Gotta, respectfully, disagree. All cars can have power steering failure. All cars, however, do not have a history of unexpected and intermittant ELECTRIC power steering failure, as these cars do. Hundreds of reports of this problem. See NHTSA website. Service bulletin on no charge repair of this problem for 2005's. TSB does not apply to same problem with 2006's. I have owned many cars. I have had power steering fluid go low. I have never had power steering come and go with no warning, and then have the manufacturer deny there is even a problem. GM has dropped the ball on this. I understand parts will fail, and I am stuck paying for the repair. I do not understand when hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles have identical problem, and manufacturer puts their head in the sand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a TSB (10183) that will replace a faulty electric power steering assist up to 100,000 miles. Not sure why that's not a sticky somewhere. Maybe it is, i'm new here :)

here's the official Doc / Letter to owners.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2010/CSC-10033624-5786.pdf

Not technically a "recall" -- but its an coverage adjustment

Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : SB-10183 Date of Bulletin : JUL 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033624
Component : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Summary :
SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT-POWER STEERING ASSIST. SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL INPUT SIGNALS WITHIN THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY
This TSB applies to 2005 and very few 2006 cars only. Coverage depends on VIN. My 2006 is not included in this TSB, even though it is the EXACT same problem as cars covered in this TSB.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
My 2005 had the electric steering lock up. I was still able to get to the dealer, which was near where I was anyway. I had to fight with my extended warranty company to get them to pay to fix it. This was a few months before the GM recall. Anyway, they replaced the entire steering column because the part that broke is not something they can get separate from the whole assembly.

To your original questions about the G6.
I have found, somewhat counter-intuitively, that the 3.5L V6 engines are actually more fuel efficient if you don't drive hard. The 2.4L four cylinder has to work too hard to move a car that weighs 3500 Lb.

If you are worried about the steering issue, buy a G6 made after 2007. GM stopped using the electric steering after the 06 model year.

Also, if you do get an 05 or 06, avoid the panoramic sunroof. Mine is very noisy.

As a family car, the G6 would do well, it has plenty of room in the back for child seats as well as high and low attachment points. The leather in the back also wipes clean very easily. The trunk is a bit small for larger shopping trips.

As a final note, remember when reading reviews that people tend to focus on the negative when writing anonymous reviews of things on the internet. If there is no problem with something, people tend to not review it. If there are problems, then they get blown out of proportion by the people reviewing them.

Good luck in deciding what car to buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't do it!!

If I could go back four years I would tell myself to turn around and RUN!!

I have a 2006 G6 GTP and it has been a lemon since driving it off the lot!
I now have 97,000 miles on it and have replaced:
4 sets of unbelievably expensive tires
Fuses galore!
Remote Start/Keyless entry fobs (2 @$200 each)
Front and Back Brakes (3 times)
Control Arm
Panoramic roof leaking and switch
My Traction Control turns itself off/on by itself
Transmission is going quickly

This car was my first GM car and it is all around a piece of crap. I traded in a loaded Explorer Sport with 120k miles and no problems for a new G6 with a carload of problems. Everyday I get into my G6 I regret my decision to buy it. I wish someone had warned me before I even thought about it.

DONT TAKE THE CHANCES DONT BUY IT!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recieved the 06 G6 2.4L as my first car in 2006 and I have had absolutely no problems with it! & I still drive it today. It has 69,000 miles and I've needed no mechanical work, except the usual oil changes and stuff. I've done upgrades like the k&n air filter and various things but only because I wanted more performance, not because it needed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
it possible i got a good batch but nothing has went wrong with my 06 gt.i love ti

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont Buy it!

Please do yourself a favor and do not buy this car! Every bad thing they say about it is true. I have had nothing but problems with my 2006 G6 since i drove it off the lot and have seriously considered torching it several times. I used to have an Acura RSX until the lease ended and I decided to get this instead. What a mistake! Avoid this car at all costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.