Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought an 08 G6. Cool car, and it grows on me every day. The thing that's driving me nuts is the "auxiliary" mp3 player. My last car had an after market radio in stalled with iPod controls built in. I never had to remember to turn the iPod off or fumble with it while I was driving. I'm constantly doing that now and I hate it!

I see there's a couple of adapters on the market but I read that the radio needs to be XM ready so I have a couple questions:

1) How can I tell if my radio is XM ready?

2) If I were to buy a different stock radio from another G6 would the mounting brackets match? And what kind of grief could I expect putting it in (like security codes or whatever)?

My goal in the end is to have XM connected and iPod controls on my factory radio. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

PS - I did a search and tried to find my answers but my A.D.D. kicked in and I spent the last hour reading about cold air intakes and ground effects. I apolagize if question has been posted before :p

Here's a pic of my radio:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
2) Yes they will match, you just need it to be programmed by the dealer.

What you want for the Ipod controls is the iSimple Gateway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your radio will work, it has the "band" button above the volume knob. Just go order the iSimple iPod gateway and hook it up. It's really easy to do and works great!

And no reprogramming needed. As soon as the iSimple is plugged in, you'll be able to cycle through the XM1 and XM2 to access the iPod. My car never had XM installed (no antenna or XM box), I could not cycle to XM before iSimple, but after the install, all was well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I have the antenna (small black thing on the roof above the windshield) so all I need is the XM tuner right for XM? Also, when you switch to your iPod, does the radio say XM1 or XM2, or does it say iPod?

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks! I have the antenna (small black thing on the roof above the windshield) so all I need is the XM tuner right for XM? Also, when you switch to your iPod, does the radio say XM1 or XM2, or does it say iPod?

Thanks again for the help
You do not need the XM tuner box as the iSimple replaces the XM input. If you use XM, then you'll also have to buy an adaptor run still run XM.

As for the display, as you're switching "bands", it'll still say XM 1 and XM 2, but they will now be your iPod cord and headphone jack plug in cord inputs. The headphone jack is optional and if you don't install that wire, then both XM 1 and 2 will be the iPod. Once in one of the XM's, the display will show the song title. You'll lose the temp reading. You can push the display button to view the temp, but it won't stay on the screen like on FM or AM.

Hopes this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, turns out I don't have the XM antenna, it's just the Onstar antenna so I'll have to buy the tuner package along with the iSimple Gateway for my iPod. Any suggestions on how to choose the XM tuner for this situation?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks, turns out I don't have the XM antenna, it's just the Onstar antenna so I'll have to buy the tuner package along with the iSimple Gateway for my iPod. Any suggestions on how to choose the XM tuner for this situation?
That I don't know, try going to iSimple's site and see if they explain it on there. I had XM for a while (in my old car), but wasn't happy with the sound quality, so it [getting XM] wasn't even a consideration when I ordered up my iSimple.

·
Registered
38 Posts
its not so bad remembering to turn the ipod off.
or fumbling with it in traffic.

i say **** it & get the cold air intake instead =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not so bad remembering to turn the ipod off.
or fumbling with it in traffic.

i say **** it & get the cold air intake instead =)
lol the thought has crossed my mind!

Thanks again for all your help guys! I'm going to skip the XM tuner, the sound on most channels is not that great, but I am going for the iSimple iPod connector because I just can't live without my iPod controls.

Then the cold air intake, Holly :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts