Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009.5 g6 and I'm trying to install subs. The problem I am running into is I can't get my amp to turn on. I just received a planet audio 3000.1d amp in the mail and I have all the wires hooked up.

The battery wire is hooked up ImageUploadedByAG Free1360220369.465771.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1360220383.049470.jpg

The remote wire (I also tried connecting to the radio fuse...didn't work)
ImageUploadedByAG Free1360220395.299528.jpg

And the ground wire I attached to the top in the pre cut holes, I also wire brushed the holes to help with connection
ImageUploadedByAG Free1360220506.015111.jpg

I checked all the fuses I know of to it and they all look fine. I dunno what to do. Could it just be bad wires? Any help would be appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Did you solder the wire to the battery post? And to the body in the trunk? Have you tried just touching the remote wire to anything powered to see if it clicks on?

If you have a volt meter I'd verify you have power getting back to the amp.

Those connections at the amp also look a little frayed. It could short out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I unfortunate don't have tools like that but I'm starting to think its the wires. They are kinda frayed so do I cut them and try to get to the fresh wire that's in there? Or if its shorted does that mean the while wire has gone bad? Ill pick up a dmm this evening

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I'll cut them all and find out. Yes I have an inline fuse on the power cable. Is it possible that the whole wire is shot? I guess a dmm will find out. Hopefully I can be spared running wires again. I think I may have bought a new amp for no reason now lol. I had a Rockford fosgate punch amp before and it just suddenly stopped working and I just always thought it was the amp. Lesson learned I guess. What are the odds that the whole wire is shot?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That wiring is sketchy...

First get some proper terminals for your battery, ground and amp. Then test to make sure power is reaching the amp and finally test to see if you are getting power through the remote wire.

Id pick up one of these for your remote wire:

If you want to test the wire, do a continuity test to see if its still good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah it is sketchy, sorry I forgot to mention that I'm simply just testing for power, because my original amp just stopped working even with the correct terms on. Ill pick that thing up, what is it called?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Aslong as the wire is long enough once you cut the frayed crap off I'd keep it. There's no point wasting money if the wire is still good.

That thing in the picture is called an add-a-circuit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your ground is probably the cause of your problem. That ground wire needs screwed to the chassis. Your placement is fine as long its completely bare metal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best way to test is to terminate your ends with a soldered ring terminal and hook everything up how it would be hooked up permanently, it will be just as easy to remove and it will all be done when you want to install everything. Do this with both your power wire and your ground wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm heading to Wally World right now because I already cut fresh wire and hooked everything back up and still no signal, but I believe it's the power cable. Can you buy just a reg 8 to 0 gauge wire by itself? After test with the mm ill have a better understanding of where I am at.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You can. Any audio shop should be able to sell you it by the foot. Just make sure your power and ground are the same gauge.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Have you done any testing with a multimeter yet? I would do that before you buy anything. It will tell you instantly if you have a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys it was the power wire. The second I tested everything it came on finally. Now I just need to cleanly hook up everything. Ill do a wrote up on this with pics. Thank you all for taking time out to post answers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright so in case any other n00b that is a rookie at installing subs is needing a quick guide here it goes (non monsoon 2009.5 g6).......

Running the power wire

I took the advice of another poster on here and drilled a hole through the firewall near the brake cable grommet

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360360029.632922.jpg

(Use correct connectors to the battery, not like I did)

I know it's a little hard to see but you can use that little "star" slits to the upper right as a reference point when you're looking down there. Then you can tuck them underneath the plastic molding to the back.

The remote wire

In this picture I have it hooked up to the wiper blades but I have it connected to the radio fuse now

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360360055.416325.jpg

The ground wire

I tried to find a bolt to connect it to but I didn't have a drill so I used the precut holes on the top for now....I also sanded down the metal to have a better connection
ImageUploadedByAG Free1360360073.716256.jpg

Then the "scosche output converter fai 3a"

Shave down the wires to the back speakers and connect speaker wire to the existing speaker wire and then run the wires to the converter

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360360227.000034.jpg

Use a5 a6 a7 a8 for the back left and right speakers ( observe polarity...brown is positive back left....dark blue is positive back right)

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360360316.582093.jpg

I can only attach 5 pics so there is an example of the back left speaker.

Then just arrange everything and then you're good to go. Sorry it's a crude write up but I don't want anyone to make the same mistakes I did. Haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts