Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have owned our 2007 Pontiac G6 (V6) for about two years. It now has about 60,000 miles on her. When we first bought the car everything seemed fine. For the past year the front end has made some light tapping noise and is more prominant during the colder months. We have an extended warranty and took it to the GM dealer we bought the car from and they replaced a control arm once. Took the car home and it was still making noise. Took it back and they replace a section of the steering linkage. Cost us $200 for something that wasn't even fixed. The dealer kept telling me that GM never put much thought into the front suspension of these cars and that it was to be expected.

The noise or tapping alomost sounds as if the left strut is loose or something is moving around. It will even make considerable noise driving slowly over bumpy pavement or slightly uneven pavement.

Is this a normal problem with these front-ends or is this dealer full of sh*t and is not willing to do the full repair due to it being under warranty?

·
Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
I hate to hear you're (or anyone) having issues w/ your G6. I can't say what problem is but as I have in the past I will suggest you to get a second opinion from a refered machanic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

It seriously sounds like multiple places in the front suspension are worn out banging and popping. I took it to the dealer 2 times and they haven't fixed the issue. I know just from hearing it that it is more than likely worn out bushings or worn out struts. I will take it to the other dealer in town and have them listen to it.

I'm sure if my warranty was out they would have found the problem and or problems and charged me an arm and a leg to fix it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the same two problems with my car. the steering collum clunking sound and then later i had a bad/worn ball joint and had the whole control arm replaced recently. i still hear a small thud/bang/crakish type sound just like you do. i believe it is something with the suspension as well. just to let you know that some of those bangs you were hearing could have been the. steering collum/ control arm. but i hope you find out whqats wrong. keep us posted. id be interested to find out what they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same prolem with my 07. Dealership replaced strut assemblies, sway bar assembly, steering column, intermediate steering shaft, both axles, and just about every suspension component on the car. Only gets bad whenit gets cold, otherwise don't hear the rattle. I still say its NOT a suspension problem, but apparently my dealership doesn't hear me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know if im having the same problem but when i go over bumps or something like that i dont have a poping sound or anything but i do have a rattiling like noise and im not quite for sure what it is nothing is loose any ideas

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
chasing noises is never fun, it is always easier when there is a performance issue with the noise. the best place to listen to them is real close to a brick wall in a quiet area. I would definitly be taking it to a second dealership if it is under warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No its not a squeak its kinnda like a rattling noise when go over bumps. But like i said nothing is loose in the front end so im not really sure of what it could be and its not making my tires wear down faster or anything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.