Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well I am going to do a HID conversion on my G6. However, I live in Manitoba. The winters here are horrible.. sometimes -45 celsius with windchill. I was wondering if the HID are going to be a problem for this type of weather. I am a HID kit wire relay harness as well. But I was not going to use that. Just wanted to know your opinions on what to do and if HID worth it in the cold weather. Let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay.. i just checked the ballast itself and it states " Temp: -40C +105C". So does that mean that if the temperature outside is -45C, it will not work?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
You should be good, though I can't promise anything. The HID kit will behind the bumper and in proximity of the engine so it will be warmer than the outside.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay.. so when using these HID kits. The g6 isn't projector headlights. But are people just using their HID kits with their standard headlight housings?? IF yes, how do they look and do they look good, or are people upgrading the the projector headlights?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
most people just use the stock headlight housing and it looks good. Unless you have a couple hundred bucks to spend seems like most are sticking to the stock headlight unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, i installed my HID kit today. I basically zip tied the ballast to the frame that you see when you remove the headlight. I jus wanted to know is there anything that I can put under the ballast so that on bumpy roads it doesn't keep banging on the frame? Also will it effect the ballast since it gets quiet hot/warm?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Nope, warmer the better. Where its at I wouldn't worry about it. Just go to a hardware store to pick up some foam. Stick it underneath the ballast so it wont move. Just a suggestion

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
you wouldn't need anything super thick just something to stop it from banging against the frame. my buddy has hids and he didn't pull his. we are in Canada tho so its different. In the US you are able to turn them off where here in Canada we have to pull a fuse to turn em off. well hids aren't made to run at partial power only full so pulling the fuse sure they turn on only when you want to. If you are in Canada and are looking to pull the fuse its number 46 in the engine compartment

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I live in Canada as well. But I can choose to turn my lights off and on, by using the turn signal. The only thing is that it doesn't stay off forever. Whenever you shut the car off and turn it back on, the light automatically turn on themselves, so you need to turn it off everytime you turn the car on. I rather not pull the fuse. Is it benefical to pull it other than the DTRL? I think the output is 35W on the ballast, and I am using a relay as well.

I guess I'll jus use some one-sided 3M tape under the ballast.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
When my car is in drive it doesnt let me turn it off. How do you get yours to turn off?? ha

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When my car is in drive it doesnt let me turn it off. How do you get yours to turn off?? ha
hmmm.. thats a good question.. I turned it off when i was in park.. lol.. so maybe your right, once you put it in drive the lights turn back on.. i am going to be going out soon.. and i will see if it turns on or not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay i checked, your right it does turn back on.. which is lame... I dont know I'll keep my DTRL fuse in. So far no problems. why did you take yours out?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Nahhh I dont have HIDs yet. I've heard you had to take it out but you and my buddy havent without any problems so ill probably just keep it in. Was planning on getting 8000K this week

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nahhh I dont have HIDs yet. I've heard you had to take it out but you and my buddy havent without any problems so ill probably just keep it in. Was planning on getting 8000K this week
Well i have the 35W 8000K kit, and I did it plug n play. I did not connect it to the battery or anything. But I do have relays, so the lights dont flicker. I dunno maybe the "Watts" gotta do something with the DTRL? I dont know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay i have a problem now. When i start the car sometimes one of the bulb turns on and the other doesn't, and vice-versa.. what can be the problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.