Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering when HID bulbs are blown, either one not both. Do they both stop working all together?

I've had this HID kit installed for about 3 yrs now. All of a sudden the morning both bulbs stopped working. I have a relay harness installed as well. Wanted to know people's opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
If a bulb goes out it'll produce pink-like light. If a ballast goes out the bulb wont turn on at all.

Since both stopped working I'd start with checking the relay harness and headlight circuit fuses and relays. Maybe even try it without the relay.

I've encountered ballasts blowing fuses but that is more likely with those slim ballasts. They're smaller and meant for motorcycles so they rely on air cooling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I checked the fuse, the fuse is totally melted at relay harness!

I do have slim ballast 35W bulbs/ballast.

Do you know the AMP on that fuse? What would iy be?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Not sure what fuse they provide with the harness. What color is it? It should also say on top of the fuse if you can read it, but each fuse is coded, the color corresponds to the amount of amps it'll handle before blowing.

From what I've been hearing slim ballasts tend to run hotter and therefore pull more amperage, but don't just replace the fuse with a higher amp fuse because you could cause more damage.

This can help figure out which fuse it is:
• 5 amp - orange color
• 10 amp - red color
• 15 amp - blue color
• 20 amp - yellow color
• 25 amp - clear color
• 30 amp - green color

I've dealt with many melted fuses, You may want to consider cutting the holder out of the harness and putting in a new fuse holder with fuse.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well checked the fuse, it was completely melted. I changed it up and bulbs started to work again. Might have to change out the single fuse case, since the fuse melted and even melted the fuse case.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
25 amps sounds about right. if that's what the harness came with, then I would continue using that one. The fuse just protects that harness, so the fuse is really dependent on the wiring used in the harness. I kept melting fuses on my amp, Once I went and actually replaced the fuse holder all the melting stopped, so far so good!

It should handle that slim ballast just fine too.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I went and got one of these kind of fuse holders:

And soldered the wires together for the best connection possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts