Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well a friend of mine gave me a set of HID head lamp kits for my car. The light kit is the kind that replaces the stock bulbs with a Xenon arch lamp, ballast and ignitor. The color is 6000k white/blue. The kit was a Xmas present and was purchased from carhidkits site, so I do not want to offend my friend by never trying them, but at the same time I do not want to blind others on the road or get a FAT TICKET. What are the penalties if it is not legal? Heck, what is the legality of these light kits? I live in CA if that has any bearing.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
lol, taken almost word for word from here.

Using trusty Google, most states say it's illegal if it doesn't come from the factory with HID's, but I haven't really heard anyone on here that's had a problem doing that.

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
I have had 8000k HIDS for over a year now and have had no problems. I would go for it, if you get pulled over they will just right you a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
638 Posts
technically they are illeagle if they didnt come stock, BUT as long as you dont point them up u wont blind ppl, and as long as you dont go higher than about 8000k you ought to be just fine.

actually my cousin is a cop and he said that most cops at least around my area like to see ppl w/ HIDs as long as they do it right and dont have them pointing up nd blinding ppl, reason is they see them as being much safer than the stock halogen headlights since you can see much better as well as you can be seen by others much better lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nobody without factory installed HIDs know how to properly point the lights down because you can't adjust them on American cars. In fact, in the US our signs aren't self-illuminated like in Europe so by law your lights also have to illuminate the signs. So for a HID bulb is used in a halogen-designed vehicle that poses a problem and is illegal. You probably won't get ticketed for it, but it's a pain having the extremely blue lights blinding you. The whiter you go the less risk you have of getting a ticket but it is still there as it is a brighter, less yellow more white/blue light that isn't easy on the eyes.

Let's just say that if you are blinding a cop they aren't going to be easy on you.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
In fact, in the US our signs aren't self-illuminated like in Europe
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Other than the tendency towards pictograms, the use of kilometers instead of miles, they are generally placed lower, and the fact that they tend to use many more, the road signs in Europe aren't different than in the US. Critical ones are made with reflective material, less critical ones are not, and unless they have added some external lighting, for the most part they depend on your car's headlamps to illuminate them.

As long as your headlights are either white or yellowish and are not overly bright or mis-aimed, you will not likely find yourself in trouble with the law for your HID conversion in California. 6000K is a nice bright color with not that much blue.

~ MattInSoCal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts