Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know someone who did a conversation with a "real" HID. I found a kit at carshop for Hi-Low-Fog, but sooooooooo exxxxppeeeennnnsiiiiiiive! I got H9 & h11 (55-65watts) with ultra-bright white, should say very blue, hum purple... looks beautiful, fir few $. Also, i'm actually looking to place a colored light set behind the beam reflector to creat a halo effect. I continu to study the inner light shape&design before drilling.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is someone thatr has been driving around the campus of my school, Purdue, with HID's in a G6 for a while. This guy has the whole setup high, low, and fogs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just saw someone on Ebay selling a 3 bulb set for Hi/Low/Fog for around $50. Just don't know that the wattage is. Hear that's a huge no no to go too high over the stock wire wattage of 55. Color was 8500 bright blue. Another had a HID kit from 8000 to 15000 color range for $100.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have a 6000k HID convertion kit ... works just fine ... bright as all hell ... had it since august ... no problems yet and it doesn't create too much glare ... $90 from ebay shipped from japan ... just the low beams ... i wouldn't recomend getting fog and high beam HID because fogs don't really do much lighting far ... they're only in front of the car and high beams are not practical because people like to flash them and it kills the bulbs ... so if you ever do get high beam HID don't flash them ...

for those who don't know ALL HID LIGHTS ARE 35W ... they're totaly different technology then regular bulbs ... there is a way to boost them up to 55W but they're not sold like that ... they're sold as 35W ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
oh and if you ever get them make sure to pull the DRL (daytime running light) fuse in your car so they wont be running constantly cuz they're bright as day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool, thanks for the link. I see a bunch of options on that page, what one was $90. I just looked at the EFX link and their kit with ballasts, bulbs and wire kit is $179 for a 8000K to 10000K color.

How easy was it to put in?
Is it truly necessary to pull the DRL?
How fast would they burn out if on say 2 hours a day?

·
Registered
195 Posts
it's pretty simple to install ... you'll need to take off both headlights in order to take the stock bulbs out ... and you'll have to make (drill) a hole in the seal that twists into the headlight (you'll know what i'm talking about when you take the headlamps off) so you would be able to get the wires though it (the kit should include a rubber seal with it so moisture won't get though the hole) ... otherwise nothing else that complicated ... it's basicaly plug and play ... be careful taking the headlamps off ... they have a stupid clip thing that clicks into the fender ... i took mine off cuz it was buggin me ... so ... when taking it off you might scratch or god forbid bend the fender so be real careful ... and you'll also need to take out the clips that hold the bumper cover in order to pull out the headlamps ... i think there's 5 of them ... so be careful not to scratch anything ...

uhhh i'm not sure which one of those was 90$ because my friend got them for me ... so ... as soon as i find out i'll let you guys know ... i think it's this one though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-CONVERSION-KIT-PONTIAC-G5-G6-GRAND-PRIX-GXP-TORRENT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ016QQitemZ260203367417QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

4300k is the brightes kit there is ... so it'll give you the most light ... going away from 4300k you will lose the amount of light output ... 30000k is purple and it's dimmer then the stock bulbs ... so choose wisely ... 4300k is what OEM products use ... meaning that all the HID kits on cars like BMW and Audi and all them pretty cars have 4300k bulbs on them because it's the brightest one there is ... i have 6000k and i can't complain about it being too blue ... it has a very slight blueish tint and the rest is pretty much white ... cuz just pure white wouldn't be as pretty right? ...

be careful with the cops ... HID kits on reflector housings like G6 have usually produce glare ... G6 isn't so bad at all for having reflector housings so it's not too much glare ... i live in Ohio so cops here don't really pay any attantion to that ... oh and one more thing ... ALL aftermarket HID kits are street elegal ...

so that's probably as much info as i can give ... feel free to ask questions ... if i can i'll answer

·
Registered
22 Posts
daygon covered the bases well.

I would certainly suggest staying away from super cheap kits, I got a cheap hi/lo kit and am quite disappointed with it. My McCullochs on the other hand are great; no complaints at all! I paid about $195 per set, but it was the best mod I've ever gotten. I wouldn't take double my money back for them to go back to stock halogens.:p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks awesome. What are the McCulloch bulbs? Hi/low/fog?
McCulloch is one of the better brands producing HID components currently. To clarify, I've not seen many bulbs that I could verify were made by McCulloch; usually the bulbs I've seen aren't really marked at all, but have connections specific to certain ballasts...The ballast sets are usually well marked if there is a brand name present, though.

As for Hi/Low/Fog: each bulb requires a ballast to ignite/power it (since I have HID low and fog bulbs, I have four ballast sets). H11s in the low & fog, H9s in the high...HIDs usually aren't used in the high beam spots due to the required warm-up time for them to reach full brightness.

I hope that I addressed your questions; if not repost or PM me, please.

edit 9:30 am: Yes, there is a ram air style hood and cold-ram-air-box available; as for any HP gains, I can't say...I just went with a stg 3 CAI and called it good. Here are a few links for history:
1st group buy
second group buy
http://www.crabintakes.com/

-John

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is someone thatr has been driving around the campus of my school, Purdue, with HID's in a G6 for a while. This guy has the whole setup high, low, and fogs.
not to be off topic but purdue! I'm originally from Muncie, IN- I ALMOST went to purdue- neat

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
Hids

Im about to get 8000k HIDS for my high beems. Im excitied to see what two hid digital ballast hid conversion kits will do at the same time. I pay prob bout $350.00 for mine and as you can see they are just as bright at day time. :) and I'm prob going to do some neon under the driver and passanger front above the floor board and have them beat to the music? has anyone ever heard of that being done?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I'm wondering, why so much for the HIDs? I purchased some for my Mazda and they were under $100. "Xenon HIDs".
They are real "high intensity discharge" lights, the 6000 series.

1 - 20 of 510 Posts