Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible, 3.9l V6 automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, as the title states, I'm having an issue where when I turn on my high beams, the driver's side low beams turn off as well. Just wondering if anyone's seen this before, or if anyone has some recommendations on where I should start.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lights that turn off when others are turned on often are an indication of a bad ground somewhere. I'd check the headlight housings and connectors first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't find it but I thought there was a recall or at least a bulletin on the headlight pigtail. I know I replaced one of mine several years back. It's an easy to find aftermarket item.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't find it but I thought there was a recall or at least a bulletin on the headlight pigtail. I know I replaced one of mine several years back. It's an easy to find aftermarket item.
I actually just put new pigtails in on both sides. It only happens on the driver's side though. I don't have a soldering iron so I used wire nuts to connect the new pigtails. I'm wondering if that might be the issue, but then again, I'd imagine it would happen to both sides of they were a problem. Plus, it's not too much of an issue really. I haven't had any trouble driving at night.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The GM engineers who designed the lighting system must have anticipated headlight failures. That explains why we have red dashboard lighting scheme. Red lighting preserves acquired night vision. If you turned on the headlights it would erase your night vision very quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tested the passenger headlight on the driver's side and confirmed that the problem was somewhere along the harness, and not with the headlights wiring. Cut off the twist nut thinking that may have somehow been an issue but no dice, still doing it.

So now I know whatever the problem is, it's not something I've touched, so that makes me feel a bit better lol. Any one know what I should check next?

·
08 convertible
350 Posts
Check the grounding. There is a ground screw/nut/stud that grounds the headlight circuit. It's somewhere on the top sheetmetal member between the headlight and battery. Google it, there are diagrams that show the location. Make sure it's clean and tight and no corrosion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, as the title states, I'm having an issue where when I turn on my high beams, the driver's side low beams turn off as well. Just wondering if anyone's seen this before, or if anyone has some recommendations on where I should start.
i had the same issue for a month, i could knock on it and it would work for maybe 20 minutes. i took it to a shop he said it was a ground wire, (false of course). it was the bulb and the wiring harness, it’s common for the harnesses to get too hot and start to burn out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had the same issue for a month, i could knock on it and it would work for maybe 20 minutes. i took it to a shop he said it was a ground wire, (false of course). it was the bulb and the wiring harness, it’s common for the harnesses to get too hot and start to burn out.
Where on the harness? I got brand new headlights, and I checked the working side on the one that isn't working, so I know it's not the headlights wiring or a bulb. And I wired up new connectors too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts