Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I have a 2010 g6 2.4 ecotec I have 5 screens in the ride and 1599 watts rms rockford power and a bunch of other electronics .. Endless to day I have massive spl and awesome sound quality from the type rs... I upgraded to a optima yellow top and have a 20 farad cap, running in the stock 125 amp alternator... I don't have any dim head lights because I have high and low beam hid on ballasts ... I get voltage drop and my amp cuts out at heavy loads... Do you all think a big 3 upgrade would solve it ? Because I can't find a HO alternator for the 4 banger... Thanks

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
All that and you didn't upgrade the big 3 yet? I'd certainly do it. I moved the battery to the trunk and hooked it up with a 2/0 AWG ground cable and 2 AWG from alt to batt, and I only have a pair of 12's w/ 1200W amp and no cap. At first I didn't have the 2/0 ground, it was 2 gauge like the rest. When I did hook up the 2/0 cable, my stereo sound quality improved(subs were noticeably stronger) along with a the starter kicking in stronger than ever. A while back I hooked up some extra ground cables from engine to chassis, which made the starter kick in stronger at that time too.

Hint- the stock alternator positive is a puny 10 gauge wire that runs to starter and charges battery from there via a 8 or 6 awg wire from starter to battery. Connecting alternator directly to battery with an upgraded wire may eliminate the need for a higher output alternator.

Top left = 2 AWG to alt. Top right = 2 AWG going through car to battery in trunk. Bottom left = 4 AWG to starter. Bottom right = 4 AWG to fuse box.

·
Registered
290 Posts
DomestikDemon where does that top right wire go through at inside the car? NAd how does it route through the firewall there? I have been looking for an alternative for my Amp power wire and that looks like an awesome place to go.

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
Behind wiper cowl, over to passenger side, behind fender and through passenger kick panel, under front/rear door sills on passenger side, into trunk. One of these days, I'll make a thread for relocating battery. Don't forget, install a fuse CLOSE to the battery!

G6dubvee304,
Can't believe the stereo upgrades and you haven't touched wiring yet. I highly suggest putting your optima in the trunk. But where I used 2 gauge, you should go with 0 gauge. And I do I think it would solve your voltage demand problems, but ask a stereo expert for their opinion on that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts