Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit some animal this evening. It was quite dark, dark colored animal. I didn't even see it coming. No bigger than the bottom of the headlight. All it really damaged was the front valance along with SOME TANK, underneath the driver side headlight. It leaked coolant. All of it. So I know it couldn't be the reserve. (Could it?)
It's some sort of tank. Nothing too special. It leaks only coolant but it leaks every drop of coolant that the car had in it. Just at an idle the car would begin to overheat.
Could use some help on figuring out what this "tank" does, how much a replacement part would be, maybe some "How-To" instructions on how to replace it. And if you would be so kind as to possibly shoot me a link where I could get one online or a part number, if one can't be obtained here at some dealership.

Pics will follow hopefully within the next few days to help me explain this part a little more.

·
Registered
911 Posts
what color is the fluid...i know the windshield washer tank is right behind the headlight. engine coolant im not sure on the exact location...might depend on engine size? what do you have

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the 3.5L. Positive it is the coolant. The red hue from it pretty much tells me it's coolant. Still Dex-Cool from the dealership. That and just idling for less than 5 minutes and I can watch the needle just rise and rise and rise until it warns me that the engine is over heating.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know the drain for your coolant is there that's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It's the 3.5L. Positive it is the coolant. The red hue from it pretty much tells me it's coolant. Still Dex-Cool from the dealership. That and just idling for less than 5 minutes and I can watch the needle just rise and rise and rise until it warns me that the engine is over heating.
Hope this doesn't come across as mothering, but I would advise you to stop running that engine entirely. It doesn't take long to ruin the water pump bearing without coolant running through it. Not to mention cracking the engine head or block.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does. But in a good way. As of now the car is not and will not run until the problem is fixed. By the way I did get it on a lift today. It cracked the plastic part of the radiator on the driver side. Now I would like to know if that is possible to be fixed without replacing the whole radiator and how much that might run.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It does. But in a good way. As of now the car is not and will not run until the problem is fixed. By the way I did get it on a lift today. It cracked the plastic part of the radiator on the driver side. Now I would like to know if that is possible to be fixed without replacing the whole radiator and how much that might run.
A picture would be worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill show you what cracked exactly with a couple pictures after I replace it. That is happening this weekend. Its super cheap to get my car on a lift and a radiator is not that expensive. Thanks all for the help though! Lesson learned : don't hit animals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts