Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the G6 but not at all new to Pontiac, I have owned a 68, 69 and 72 GTO, an 89 Grand Prix GTP and a 2004 Grand Prix GT2 ... currently driving a 2005 MBM A4 GTO :D

Mt wife is sick of her 4 door accord and after having just returned from vacation in Los Angeles (driving a rental convertible) she would very much like a convertible so I showed her the G6 GT HTC and she loves it (in white FYI)

So what's the consensus on best year/trim? Am I right in thinking only 2006 had the GTP option?

Again looking forward to getting to know you guys over here (Current member of the LS1GTO boards)

S

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome! I am also looking shopping for a convertible, so I've been researching them heavily.

Variations year-to-year seem to have been minor, but you are correct that the GTP only existed for that one year. All the equipment it had remained optional, however. There was some change in the exterior colors available. The '08 & '09 have a connector on the radio for plugging in an external device. That's about all I've run across.

Keep us posted on your search!

·
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe
333 Posts
good luck i have an 07 vert i like the adjustable pedals i can't stand when my wife moves my seat so now she just moves the pedals and no problam anymore:2kiss:

·
07 SILVER GT CONVERTIBLE
121 Posts
I have an 07 GT,bought it new.I gotta say I still love the car.It now has 97000 km approx 60000 miles no major troubles (knock on wood).

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Yeah as I'm sure you know being a Pontiac guy that they love to change trim designations around for no logical reason. AFAIK my 09 GT is pretty much the exact equivalent of the 06 GTP except for a few minor (or maybe not, depending...) equipment additions & deletions as mentioned above.

Biggest thing I guess, as FutureOwner and I have discussed at length, is the HTC operation. I had no problems the first summer, but the second time around had several issues crop up :eek: We came to the conclusion that it's good to run it up & down once a week or so in the winter to keep the mechanism in good stead. Of course, it's kinda too late for me and likely would be for you if the prior owner hasn't already come up with our great idea.

BTW were you on clubgp? I was (and still occasionally am) bleen on there :D

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Welcome to the site! I have an 06 GTP 6 speed, not a vert, with over 105,000 miles on it and have had very few problems (mainly wear and tear). I really have enjoyed this car and plan to enjoy it for a lot longer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate it

After going and looking at a couple last night I am not so sure the wife is still interested, she says the HTC's have a .... gulp ... big butt (back end of the car). I on the other hand think they look sexy especially with the top down. (Plus I love the ram air hood they have available.) I also noticed they have different front grill designs, I saw one last night that reminded me of the Sport Appearance Package grills on my goat, very cool.

·
1,035 Posts
Hmmm.. I wouldn't say the back end has a "big butt" - if anything it's kinda pinched & skinny looking from certain angles. But of course it's all in the eye of the beholder :beer:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't run across a convertible with a ram-air hood, shalemail. They must be rare.

I also haven't seen one with that much front end chrome, milk man. I like chrome! Is some of that aftermarket?

Just since I made my post above, I've learned something else--there was actually a fairly large series of changes that appeared at the very end of the run. Apparently they were referred to as 2009.5's for all bodystyles. The easiest way to tell is a different front end fascia and a revised center stack. This site describes the changes:

http://www.netcarshow.com/pontiac/2009-g6_convertible/

·
Registered
80 Posts
I couldn't rest until I saw a vert with the ram air hood. Finally found a picture--it says it's a "Street Edition." Was that an option package or a separate model? And when did they make it?

·
1,035 Posts
Yeah I've seen that too. No real information on it - someone said it was a special edition sold in Canada; I'm leaning towards it being a case of some GXP stuff put on afterwards. We've got a few on here & g6p who have done that to their coupes & sedans :)

I AM, however, most intrigued by the Hammerhead :eek:

·
1,035 Posts
Thats the GXP Street Edition....08 and 09
GXP was never sold as a vert. If it was, one would be sitting in the parking lot here at work :banana:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was so busy looking at the hood, I missed the whale-tail spoiler. Yikes! That looks way out of proportion to the car. And I wonder how it does affect the top mechanism.

BTW, so it's the GXP that has the grille stretched down into the bumper, and the non-functional hood scoops?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts