Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 G6 GT DIC says my pressures are 28 lbs, but my hand gauge says they are 32-33 lbs. Using the hand gauge, my '96 Grand Prix went 126K mi on the original RS-A tires, recommended pressure of 30 lbs, so I thought it was pretty accurate. Would a 4-5 lb difference effect traction or wear?

Is there any specific brand tire gauge that is known to be very accurate? My hand gauge is just a standard chrome pen-like one from Wal Mart.

No, the above is not a misprint, the OE tires on my Grand Prix went 126,000 mi, and were replaced 10 years and 1 month after I bought the car. They were close, but not entirely down to the wear bars.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The DIC is usually relatively accurate. It shouldn't be off more than about 4 psi. Problem with the stick gauges are that they aren't that accurate either. Get a digital one with calibration and fill your tires based on that. For what you need the DIC is probably good enough for monitoring. Fill to about 32 cold and you should be good to go. Mine goes from about 33 cold to 37 hot. I'd say as long as it doesn't drop too low your tires are fine. Mine keep their pressure pretty well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My readings seem to be accurate as well, or so the dealership said the other day when I had to take the car in to get a pretty big bolt removed from one of the rear tires. I havent had any problems with the readings, other than when it read 9 (because of the suprise bolt found in the tire) & I freaked! Its winter & I have kept mine in the low-mid 30's, so apparently thats the way to go!

·
Registered
62 Posts
If tire gauges were a GPS those pen gauges are good enough to get you in the neighborhood, the TPMS will get you on the right block, and most digital tire gauges will get you in front of the house. I have used two Pen Gauges on the same tire getting two readings, then gone back with the two different digital gauges. The pen gauges were 6 PSI apart, one was 1 below the Digitals, which agreed, and the other pen gauge was 5 over. Plus digital gauges are about $10 at your favorite AUTO parts selling ZONE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts