Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 G6-GT has greeted me with only one functioning low-beam headlight as I pulled into my garage last night. I need to have the bulb replaced on the left side. I know this can be done but, I've heard it requires a "technique" to perform the change. I know it can be done without removal of the headlamp plastic cover & is done from the inside. Other than that, I know nothing else about it. Please help...:confused:

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
You need to remove the headlight assembly. Two bolts on top and several push pins to surrounding front bumper fascia. Look around as instructions on that are here somewhere.

once the light is pulled out its easy cheesy to access the bulb.

I did this yesterday....again!!

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lampoon ~ Thanx! As I drove into work, I pulled out the owner's manual & found a small pictorial "how to". It's true what they say, "if all else fails, read the directions..." :eek: :eek: :eek: How often have you had to do this as a matter of "needing" to change the failed bulb vs. putting in brighter bulbs? Just curious. This is the first attempt for me in four years since purchasing the car. Thanx again! :D

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To sum up my first experience battling the ferocious headlamp assembly, (to borrow from ROCKY), "...Adrian, I DID IT!!!!":D I posted a video on another thread that really was "my" saving grace. I learn best by example. :eek:

· Registered
346 Posts

· CrAzY Moderator
1,116 Posts
haha

· Registered
2 Posts
I came across this thread looking for assistance in changing my bulbs. Yes the owners manual has some advice but it's a bit sketchy on the hard part - removing the headlamp assembly. I think it would almost have been easier to trade the car in. Insanely difficult.

At the back of the headlamps near the outside corner next to the fender there is a shaft sticking out that mounts into a ball and socket setup in the fender. Both of mine were practically frozen and it took me over an hour to get them off. Once off the change is easy.

Pull straight, twisting some this way and that to use leverage from the fender to help you out. Watch out for bending or damaging the fender and/or the bumper cover and fascia. Takes a lot of patience. Think less force, pulling pretty straight out, with lots of twisting and turning and cursing.

One more thing. When you go to remove the plastic rivets in the top of the fascia notice they have a center piece that you can simple pry up with minimal force using a screw driver. Don't try to pry the whole rivet out.

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
I think the engineers were on drugs when they came up with this puzzle of a bulb replacement.
Yes you can easily damage your paint job replacing headlamp bulbs on the G6, WTF?

· Registered
3 Posts
I wasn't so lucky with the ball popping out of the sockets, so after about ten minutes of prying and cracking the top plastic mounting bracket with no luck, I pulled the lower corner of the headlight outside of the facia (placed a rag between the facia and assembly) and was able to reach my hands in there to get to the bulb, replaced both in about ten minutes or less after that. Only bad thing about this is that you can access the low and high beam bulbs this way but the marker lights are still in a tight spot... hope mine don't go out any time soon?

Question? Anyone experience problems with their high beams not working on auto after replacing the bulbs? I kind of think mine goes beyond the bulb problem, when I went to pull out the first bulb (hot as """" by the way) it came on as I was twisting it off? I know, I should have had the lights off as I was replacing them but with the one burned out (so I thought) the other wasn't working so I assumed they were off but they weren't. Once I got it all together the high beams didn't work when on auto but they worked when you put the switch to the manual setting. Any clues... short somewhere maybe? BTW, I had noticed that the high beams didn't work on auto before changing the bulbs but they did prior to this. Hmmm wonder if my daughter could have done something to mess them up... she just started driving two weeks ago and she was the driver when all this came about???

· MonsterG6
386 Posts
well ive got paint chipping off my bumper from putting in my halo leds...you cant see it unless i point it out but none the less...why is it so damn hard haha

· Registered
43 Posts
That was way harder than it had to be!!! I felt like i was breaking my car the entire time, after being furious at my car for what seemed like hours, but was only a few minutes, i just said f this, and i tugged as hard as i could, and it came out :) now to get to the inside of the headlight, that may be a bigger problem for me.. any help?

· Registered
3 Posts
G6 bulb replacement

I've read most of these threads and I must add that I had problems trying to pull my headlight assembly out, pulling the facia was about the easiest part of the process but I was able to change my bulbs out by just pulling out the inside corner of the headlamp and wedging something between it and the frame of the car and then I was able to reach my hand behind the assembly and replace the bulb... I have had to do this twice with my G6 now so the second time around only took me about five to ten minutes per bulb... I would recommend replacing both at once since you have to pull the facia out to get to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.