Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
G6newb
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched and searched and can't find out how to change the tranny fluid! How the heck do you check it? Is it the cap with the gear in some oil on it? Why is there no dipstick? Poor design I guess. Thanks guys

·
4,052 Posts
this is from the manual:

Automatic Transaxle Fluid
(2.4L L4 and 3.5L V6 Engines)
It is not necessary to check the transaxle fluid
level. A transaxle fluid leak is the only reason for
fluid loss. If a leak occurs, take your vehicle to
the dealership service department and have
it repaired as soon as possible.

·
Registered
638 Posts
actually there IS a way to check it, on the passenger side a few inches above the transmission pan there will be i beleive an 11mm bolt, you will need to have the car up on jack stands to get to it and have it running. youll also need a small drain pan handy too. with the car running slowly remove that plug and if trans fluid somes out then it is full, if no fluid comes out and the fluid is not level with the hole then it is low. to cange the fluid theres a few ways, you could take it to a trans shop and have them suck out all the fluid which includes all the fluid in the tq convertor or just drop the pan and refill.dropping the pan can be somewhat messy tho lol.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
How much will a GM Dealer charge for a tranny flush?

im not sure on that, i have a friend who him nd his dad have a shop behid their house for tinkering with and building cars, they have one of the machince to suck out all the fluid so it only cost me like $90 or so for the filter and trans fluid and i did it myself. other than the sucking it out part which they did for me.

·
G6newb
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could do it my self but would rather have the delaer do it just because its under warranty and I do not want them saying I screwed something up!

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
Ok,, wait a min.. If you have a 6 speed manual, It won't have a dipstick.. I haven't seen a manual with a dipstick.. Mine is 4 speed manumatic.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ok,, wait a min.. If you have a 6 speed manual, It won't have a dipstick.. I haven't seen a manual with a dipstick.. Mine is 4 speed manumatic.

i've seen lots of manuals with dip sticks, i guess just not a car lol :doh:. im used to drivin 10 spd and 13 spd line trucks nd on occasion 18 spd semis ad almost all have had dipsticks lol.

on another note, is it true that its not good to drive like say a manual car w/o using the clutch? im so used to drivin big truck w/o using the clutch for anything other then starting ( which in almost al cases you its way easier to shift not using it. nd the other day i was drivin a mazda 3 man trans w/o the clutch just fine, not grindin the gears or anything so was just wonderin if drivin like a car w/o the clutch is bad for it if ur not even grindin gears or anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How an I get all te fluid out including the tq converter without having it sucked out with the machine at a shop. They won't put amsoil in it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any shop can install your specified oils, they just can't guarantee the fluids if you want to utilize your own.

Flush flush doesn't suck out fluid per se, it forces old fluid out as new fluid is forced in to replace it. No matter what you can't get 100% of the fluid out without tearing the trans and torq conv. apart.

I haven't checked my owners manual for this, but my Taurus states the first transmission service (replaces 7 quarts from a total of 11) is at 60K miles, and every 35K miles after that. As you drive more on old fluid it needs to be changed more frequently. This is why it's not advised to flush a high mileage vehicle as dirt and the like can get lodged in the valvebody and cause a raft of problems.

Also, my old 2006 Columbia 13 speed did not have a manual transmission dipstick.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
i've seen lots of manuals with dip sticks, i guess just not a car lol :doh:. im used to drivin 10 spd and 13 spd line trucks nd on occasion 18 spd semis ad almost all have had dipsticks lol.

on another note, is it true that its not good to drive like say a manual car w/o using the clutch? im so used to drivin big truck w/o using the clutch for anything other then starting ( which in almost al cases you its way easier to shift not using it. nd the other day i was drivin a mazda 3 man trans w/o the clutch just fine, not grindin the gears or anything so was just wonderin if drivin like a car w/o the clutch is bad for it if ur not even grindin gears or anything.
I'm pretty sure a lot of street racers shift like that, if you're good at it (and it sounds like you are) you can gain a lot of performance and speed in a race without wearing or getting your clutch even hot. The syncros are obviously doing their job and you were obviously able to find that "sweet spot" in the rpm range to just slip it through the gears. I'd say no harm no foul!

Any shop can install your specified oils, they just can't guarantee the fluids if you want to utilize your own.

Flush flush doesn't suck out fluid per se, it forces old fluid out as new fluid is forced in to replace it. No matter what you can't get 100% of the fluid out without tearing the trans and torq conv. apart.

I haven't checked my owners manual for this, but my Taurus states the first transmission service (replaces 7 quarts from a total of 11) is at 60K miles, and every 35K miles after that. As you drive more on old fluid it needs to be changed more frequently. This is why it's not advised to flush a high mileage vehicle as dirt and the like can get lodged in the valvebody and cause a raft of problems.

Also, my old 2006 Columbia 13 speed did not have a manual transmission dipstick.
That service where it replaces only 7 quarts of the whole 11 is just a simple tranny pan drop and filter change. That alone changes over 60% of the fluid with fresh new fluid, the remaining 40% or so then get filtered through the nice new filter, along with the new fluid of course.
But this is something you could do yourself at home. But it may be kind of messy, a large catch pan is handy... A new filter comes with a replacement pan gasket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it a must to have engine running to check fluid level?

actually there IS a way to check it, on the passenger side a few inches above the transmission pan there will be i beleive an 11mm bolt, you will need to have the car up on jack stands to get to it and have it running. youll also need a small drain pan handy too. with the car running slowly remove that plug and if trans fluid somes out then it is full, if no fluid comes out and the fluid is not level with the hole then it is low. to cange the fluid theres a few ways, you could take it to a trans shop and have them suck out all the fluid which includes all the fluid in the tq convertor or just drop the pan and refill.dropping the pan can be somewhat messy tho lol.
Wondering why the engine needs to be running when checking the fluid level?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
It must be at operating temp to ensure all the fluid is in all the necessary lines and caivities. If you checked it cold the fluid could read higher then it should be. Plus you have to account for heat expansion as well. Also fluid is continuously being pumped while the engine is running. If you checked it while it was off all the fluid would settle and appear to be over-filled.

·
Legend
782 Posts
im curious i have about 75k on my 2.4 6 and to my knowledge has never had this done. should i get it done or is the mileage to high to change it?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The recommended interval is 100k so if anything you should be good. I'm at around 57k and I plan to do it just as a preventative thing. I do a lot of highway driving now but a lot of stop and go can wear it out faster. Specifically when you go in and it of overdrive a lot, like city driving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm looking to drop the pan on my 05. How much fluid will need to be replaced? And what kind? I've heard conflicting stories. I believe DEX-III will work, but DEX-VI may also work. If I go with DEX-VI, how compatible is it with the remaining fluid that won't get removed from dropping the pan?

Just doing this on the maintenance side of things.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts