Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was raining so since I was in a school zone (less than 20MPH), I began to raise the top; opps... my alert came on saying... "Low Tire warning notification underway," but when I pulled over, no low tires... what happened? Was some relay engaged when I began raising the top? My mechanic replied to my phone call, saying; "You need to reset your computer since you got a new battery." He said he didn't know how to reset the computer. QUESTION: Does anyone know how to reset the computer so the system isn't charging my old battery at its' previous level? A new battery, charges at a lower level than an old battery; but, you must notify the computer you have a NEW BATTERY.

HOW DO YOU RESET THE COMPUTER?

Before driving in the rain, I had just left getting a new Alternator and a new Battery installed. Now the system thinks I still have an old battery in the car, so the computer is telling my alternator to charge at a higher level than is needed, so the Battery will litteraly burn up in about one year. So... HOW DO I RESET THE SYSTEM ?

THX ahead of time all...

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
It was raining so since I was in a school zone (less than 20MPH), I began to raise the top; opps... my alert came on saying... "Low Tire warning notification underway," but when I pulled over, no low tires... what happened? Was some relay engaged when I began raising the top? My mechanic replied to my phone call, saying; "You need to reset your computer since you got a new battery." He said he didn't know how to reset the computer. QUESTION: Does anyone know how to reset the computer so the system isn't charging my old battery at its' previous level? A new battery, charges at a lower level than an old battery; but, you must notify the computer you have a NEW BATTERY.

HOW DO YOU RESET THE COMPUTER?

Before driving in the rain, I had just left getting a new Alternator and a new Battery installed. Now the system thinks I still have an old battery in the car, so the computer is telling my alternator to charge at a higher level than is needed, so the Battery will litteraly burn up in about one year. So... HOW DO I RESET THE SYSTEM ?

THX ahead of time all...
Ok I am going to attempt some parts of this. First I am

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Let's try this again;
You tell us that you were traveling at less than 20mph.
1. On page 157 of the 2007 owners manual under the first point, it tells you to have your car in park.
"The vehicle must be in PARK (P).......... And the engine must be running, or......., to operate the retractable roof."

So from here I am not sure what to tell you. You could try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. A Tech 2 (gm specific) bidirectional scan tool may be helpful. Some after-market but not all scan tools may be helpful.
Notice I said to disconnect the battery to reset the cmputer modules.
Just like your home commuter sometimes a reboot will fix it all.
I don't want to criticize your mechanic but I have switched batteries in cars for a long time ( over 40 years) and that is the first time I have heard that. Maybe in the newest of cars but not these cars. The alternator I doubt but maybe... I have not had to change one in a newer car either.

So getting back to you and your concern. If the battery disconnect doesn't work. I would look for a mechanic with a bidirectional scan tool.
An alternator should have a built in built-in voltage regulator. That should not be an issue.
By trying to operate the roof while the vehicle is in motion y you could have caused some warning light to come on. You will want to check that as well. You should index all your Windows to have one continuous motion in the roof open/close . See page 118 in the manual. The manual is on the net.

Good luck,
Convertme

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's try this again;
You tell us that you were traveling at less than 20mph.
1. On page 157 of the 2007 owners manual under the first point, it tells you to have your car in park.
"The vehicle must be in PARK (P).......... And the engine must be running, or......., to operate the retractable roof."

So from here I am not sure what to tell you. You could try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. A Tech 2 (gm specific) bidirectional scan tool may be helpful. Some after-market but not all scan tools may be helpful.
Notice I said to disconnect the battery to reset the cmputer modules.
Just like your home commuter sometimes a reboot will fix it all.
I don't want to criticize your mechanic but I have switched batteries in cars for a long time ( over 40 years) and that is the first time I have heard that. Maybe in the newest of cars but not these cars. The alternator I doubt but maybe... I have not had to change one in a newer car either.

So getting back to you and your concern. If the battery disconnect doesn't work. I would look for a mechanic with a bidirectional scan tool.
An alternator should have a built in built-in voltage regulator. That should not be an issue.
By trying to operate the roof while the vehicle is in motion y you could have caused some warning light to come on. You will want to check that as well. You should index all your Windows to have one continuous motion in the roof open/close . See page 118 in the manual. The manual is on the net.

Good luck,
Convertme
THX a bunch; (YUK) I don't have a manual, --- ... but I did go to my computer and read (all by myself lol), and lo-and-behold! it says to, "Disconnect the battery and the computer will reset automatically." This post was my first, so dummy that I be; I failed to mention, I have a beautiful 2009 G6 GT convertible with 26,000 miles that had sat for 2 years and was driven to church on Sundays by a little 'ol lady in Tennis Shoes and she died at age 99 years old of statuatory RAPE. (They had an awful time removing that stupid grin off of her face). She left the car to her grand grand-daughter, who GAVE it to me for $1.00. :)

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
THX a bunch; (YUK) I don't have a manual, --- ... but I did go to my computer and read (all by myself lol), and lo-and-behold! it says to, "Disconnect the battery and the computer will reset automatically." This post was my first, so dummy that I be; I failed to mention, I have a beautiful 2009 G6 GT convertible with 26,000 miles that had sat for 2 years and was driven to church on Sundays by a little 'ol lady in Tennis Shoes and she died at age 99 years old of statuatory RAPE. (They had an awful time removing that stupid grin off of her face). She left the car to her grand grand-daughter, who GAVE it to me for $1.00. :)
Your

Your humor seems a bit tainted but did you get your car working?
If you did great. What color is the car. And are the door mirrors painted the same as the body color or are they all black?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your

Your humor seems a bit tainted but did you get your car working?
If you did great. What color is the car. And are the door mirrors painted the same as the body color or are they all black?
It's working like aa charm. Thanks a bunch ! P.R.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
It's working like aa charm. Thanks a bunch ! P.R.
Part way through the 2009 model year gm and Pontiac switched the front bumper cover from a 4 window to at five window version. They also painted the mirror caps to match the body color. By the vin, they're all 2009 but there is very few of few of them that actually come up for resale. There is no 2009.5 there is no 2010 in the convertible trim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts