Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I'm not gunna lie I'm still pretty new at modding my car, i mean i do know some things self taught mostly but i still like to learn few more things and how things work on a car. So I am proposing a question to any who can answer me. Before my G6 i owned a 04 GP GT, and I had put a performance exhaust and dp on it, supposedly adding close to 30hp maybe? but anyway my mechanic was talking to me when he was putting on some parts for regular maintenance and of course noticed i had put an exhaust on it. First of all this guy can work miracles with cars only wish i knew a fraction of what he knew. Anyway he explained to me that just putting an exhaust doesnt add any power to the car, only upgrading the components in the engine will. I mean it kinda makes since to me and i trust his opinion. but the manufactures of the exhaust say otherwise on their website. So my question is can anyone explain to me how adding a exhaust adds power or if it does at all. thanks alot.

·
o6g6 gottastart somewhere
45 Posts
whats up first off im not going to act like i know everything about cars, ive been around cars and trucks all my life... stock, performance,drag cars all that kinda stuff.
but to hopefully help you in your question....
exhaust does add a little performance to your car (not much) but it does.
the factory exhaust uses restrictive mufflers that cause loss of horse power the factory muffler is designed to give you quiet ride.
think of it this way as i was always told
you take your car and put less restrictive exhaust on it and a cold air intake it will let the car breath easier
which in turn will improve throttle response and a little getty up and go like i said (not much)
the more air you can get in and the more exhaust you can get out improves the car.
now i was told dont know how true it is but engine size has alot to do with the size of the exhaust... some people will put hugh exhaust on there car and it will actually take power away because there is no back presure its all about balance
but hopefully this will help you in some way
if you have any questions feel free to ask me or anyone on here thats what this place is for lol:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Think of it like your engine is trying to breathe out through a coffee stirrer with a stock exhaust. When you upgrade your exhaust, it's like breathing out a McDonalds straw. It takes more energy to push the same amount of air out the stirrer than it does to push the air out of the McDonalds straw.

Since the pistons pushing the gas out of the valve take power from the other pistons pushing down, the less power it takes to push the exhaust out of the combustion chamber, the more power you make to the wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.