Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how often you guys/gals take your G6 over 4500rpm and for how long. Do you think there are any negative affects by doing this on a day to day basis?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't beat on mine alot. A couple weeks ago in the rain I floored it doing 40ish, shifted to 2nd to pass and it got really loose on me. Yet another time traction control saved me butt! :D Do you really have to redline it when peak torque is <3,000 RPM? Then agian, I didn't lease mine so I'll be paying for it for 5 years. That's probably the only time I've been hard on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Several times a day.

You have to just to get around the blue-hairs futzing along down the main drag at 20 in the left lane - at least that's MY excuse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The way I see it, If GM Powertrain didn't think it was safe to go past 4500rpm, then they would have put the rev limiter there instead of 6200....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd have to say quite a few times a week. I'm usually the first car out in multilane traffic... Not so much to taunt anyone (;) ) but for my own satisfaction. I can't help it other drivers take it to heart. :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
I take the turnpike everyday and I find that the long , gentle curved entrance ramps are a great way to test 0-60 times every morning :) Of course in manual mode though !

·
Registered
532 Posts
carsuperfreak said:
The way I see it, If GM Powertrain didn't think it was safe to go past 4500rpm, then they would have put the rev limiter there instead of 6200....
Yep. :)

Cars were meant to be driven.

·
Registered
169 Posts
G6~Mike said:
Yeah but how long/hard before you start to burn oil or have tranny slip.... etc.
I had a 2.5L in a late 80's Buick that ran to 160,000 miles before the tranny started to hurl, and I drove the crap out of that thing. Never burned any oil.

My truck made it to 165,000 before the tranny gave up the ghost, rebuilt it for $1800 and I'm still pounding the crap out of it. Uses about 1/4 quart between changes.

GM knows how to build a drivetrain. They may not result in the fastest or most powerful vehicles on the planet, but they're tough.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Cars are only designed to last to 100,000 miles (if that). Do you think if they built a car that last forever they could possibly keep making money and increasing profits every year? They would put themselves out of business. Thats why you can buy aftermarket parts that last 100x longer than the parts on your new 40 or 50 thousand dollar car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
S8ER99 said:
Cars are only designed to last to 100,000 miles (if that). Do you think if they built a car that last forever they could possibly keep making money and increasing profits every year? They would put themselves out of business. Thats why you can buy aftermarket parts that last 100x longer than the parts on your new 40 or 50 thousand dollar car.
Thats far from true. The last 2 cars my dad had he drove to 250,000 miles with no drivetrain issues. Granted they were all highway miles. I'm sure he would still be driving the 2nd one had it not been stolen from the GM parking lot! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Always exceptions.. I know a handful of people who have driven LT1 powered Caprice/Corvettes and fbodys to 200+ thousand miles... I also know of HUNDREDS who made it 50~75K and all hell broke loose. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I drive mine to redline. In fact, on Christmas Eve, I took the G6 out and shot it right past the redline!

I also killed the engine... :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as the cars only lasting 100,000 miles... I had a 97 Monte Carlo with 130,000 on a 3.1, and when it hit 127 the tranny started to slip, and I drove that thing HARD!!! Never burned oil and I never had to replace the manifold gasket or O ring like most people had to do. People buy new cars because of the look of it and features and because of this urban myth that cars dont last long. Anything can last long if its properly maintained. Sure a car will burn oil, if you dont change it but every 7,000 miles!! A tranny can slip with 10,000 miles on it, cars are nothing but a crap shoot...

·
Registered
488 Posts
yea that 100,000 mile comment was way off. My girlfriend has a '95 celica with 130,000 miles on it and it's in great shape. And my friend has a 3000GT with over 150,000 miles. And people I know at work have had American trucks for well over 170,000 miles.

Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts