Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
The odd thing is, that I've seen more babied engines blown than beat up ones (thats 2 years at an Advanced Auto Parts and 5 at Napa talking here)... but I must say that bouncing off the rev limiter isnt going to help any car LOL!! If cars were meant to be babied, we'd all have 3L Geo engines...power and gearing is made for a reason, to be used!!

P.S.- My RX7 (r.i.p LITERALLY) had 138,xxx with a single turbo conversion pushin 400+ was all original.. well minus the turbo upgrade hehe

·
Registered
532 Posts
You're right..maybe the 100K number is probably off for newer cars...

Cmon.. as a car maker offering a warranty for 50,000 miles / 3 years (for example) you obviously don't need to worry about what happens after that 50k/3 year mark. Why should they?

·
Registered
169 Posts
S8ER99 said:
You're right..maybe the 100K number is probably off for newer cars...
The "newer cars" part is just as far off.

1968 3/4 ton pickup - 250,000 miles and still going on the original engine with new intake and carb, doesn't use oil.
1973 Chevelle - 98,000 miles and still going on the original engine (in the body of a 1979 Grand Prix cuz the Chevelle was rolled on the hiway) with new intake, FI, and high compression heads, doesn't use oil.
1979 Grand Prix - 120,000 miles and still going when it was replaced with the Chevelle engine cuz the 301 was a WEAK engine.
1987 Buick Somerset - 160,000 miles and still going when I traded it, used 1/2 quart between changes.
1991 Grand Prix GTP - 150,000 miles and still going when I traded it, didn't use oil.
1993 1/2 ton pickup - 178,000 and still going on the original engine, uses 1/2 quart between changes.
2001 Malibu (R.I.P) - 68,000 miles and running like nuts when the wife totalled it.
2005 G6 GT - 26,000 miles and running like gangbusters.

There are no vehicles in between, and there are no exceptions to my philosophy of "drive it like you stole it." Anything will last if you provide proper maintenance.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And I have owned and buried just as many vehicles with less than 75K on the clock. (Good old Quad 4 ;) )... Also if you add tons of miles in a year those perspective changes a lot.. (I was pumping 30K a year for a while and my cars would make it over the 100K mark with ease)....

Sorry I have seen way more cars NOT make the 100K hump than I have make it without a major failure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Sorry I have seen way more cars NOT make the 100K hump than I have make it without a major failure.
And my experience has been exactly the opposite, because I don't "bury" them. I trade or sell them when I'm done with them. All depends on how it's maintained and who's doing the maintenance.

Do the math and you'll see they weren't "fast" mile accumulators. 30K in a year? That's not high miles, that's almost expected if you drive 20 miles to work every day, which is not uncommon in just about any metro area these days.

And none of them are highway mile coasters - the only one in the group that has accrued any real highway miles is the G6. All the rest were/are slogged around town in stop-n-go, pedal on the floor, with both trucks being thoroughly abused (3/4 ton pulls a 25' travel trailer with a camper in the bed, 1/2 ton pulls a 3 horse trailer on its class4 bumper).

·
Registered
532 Posts
eww.. speaking of my change oil message came on yesterday. time to hand over some dough at the dealer. (want that crap documented so I have no issues unloading this thing)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.