Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should a tank of coolant last?
I went to Jiffy lube and got an oil change(never again)
they forgot to top of my reservoir for coolant(called them and went back)
when I went back, they added a clear liquid from a flower watering like container. When asked if it was water they told me that it was actually a coolant that is universal for ALL vehicles(because my car takes a special kind). Does that sound correct as far as their coolant being clear and acceptable for my car?

my other question is, how long does a tank filled to the line last?
I drove about 5-6,000 miles before going for another oil changed(at a mechanic shop, they don't top off coolant) but I just looked at the reservoir, and its almost empty. I can see more coolant in the tank, but it's quite low.
Is it normal to have to basically fill the coolant tank after 6,000 or so miles?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you should be that low on coolant everytime u get an oil change...
I did ALOT of driving. Im talk chicago to ny around ny back to chicago around chicago down to florida around florida and back to chicago. Many many miles and a good amount of time in between.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Your coolant level should never go down unless you have a leak. Periodically topping it off isn't needed unless you're spewing coolant somewhere and need to keep going.
As for a cooling system flush, that's a different story and should be done every so often. Not sure what the recommended interval is but I bet its around 100,000 miles.

The only "universal" coolant I know of is yellow. Chances are they topped it off with water. Jiffy lube is one of the shadiest and worst shops I've ever had to deal with. Nationally... ha

·
Registered
447 Posts
My bet is a slow leak somewhere, maybe radiator or water pump? I have a slow leak from my radiator, not a huge deal, I just know to keep an eye on my coolant level till I get around to fixing it.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would bet a slow leak is likely from a hose connection or more likely from a gasket somewhere. I understand the crossover gasket is an issue on some V6s

·
Registered
465 Posts
My car suffers from a slow leak since day 1 which the dealer is incompetent to fix.

The dex-cool is a long-life coolant and is good for 5 years. It is also a sensitive coolant and has been known to cause major engine damage. The risk is much higher if you let the coolant runs low; mix it with other coolants; or run it longer than 5 years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the same problem. The dealer ship said I had damaged fin in the radiator that was causing my leak. They wanted 800+ to replace. He said I would be fine as long as I keep adding coolant. I went to Walmart and bought a cheap bottle of radiator leak stop ( around 7-10 dollars if I remember correctly). I did not get the kind with the large pellets. If you interested in trying it I will find out the exact product for you. Since I used it, my coolant level has not changed. Not a cure all but I haven't had a issue (knock on wood) in I over a year thankfully.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts