Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many 6-speeders are out there? If you exist, it's likely you have a Coupe.

I'm surmising that my 6-speed sedan will be one of the rarer of the G6s, if not the rarest.

In any case, has anyone else noticed that engaging second gear is sort of rough sometimes? There have been occassions when I couldn't even get it in there. Seems to have gotten better since, however.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 6spd SEDAN :)

I have no problems with 2nd gear, if anything, when I go to put it in 3rd its sometimes hard to get in there heh...but thats all I've noticed so far.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yup, GTP sedan. If you want to drive it leasurely it's sometimes difficult to make it smooth. If you're tired it makes things worse - but it's super smooth if you want to push it.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I wish they had the standard for the GT's....

·
Registered
70 Posts
As you may know, I got rear ended in my GTP sedan three weeks after I got it. Well, things worked out. The dealership was able to reverse the deal and I got a brand new one! The only difference is that it has XM radio and tan leather, instead of black. Very sweet. This one is put together way better than my other one. No problems in second gear, silky smooth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shifting 2nd and 3dr

I own a 6 speeder Coupe. I have the shifting issue all the time. 2nd ans 3dr is always hard to shift and I can feel the gerars in the lever. Some times the 6th does'nt want to engage at all. Have to go to 5th and start again, then it will engage. Down shifting to 2nd is impossible if I pull the lever all the way towars me. Will get the dealer to look into this since it's worst with the cold weather. Already got the 6th fix by adjusting a cable, but it's not perfect when the car is HOT. I posted a thread on this issue, but answers are scarse.... We shall see if it's a single problem with time. !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2dr, but have had no problems getting it in gear. I only have 3400 miles on it though. I am starting to notice a wear mark on the boot where it is pinching going into 6th. By the way does anyone know which fuse controls the accessory ports. Mine blew over the weekend on a quick trip with the radar detector plugged in. HMMM!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've also noticed that going into 2nd sometimes takes quite a bit more effort than it should, and most especially when it is cold. I am curious as to the viscosity of the gear oil may influence this. By switching to a synthetic type oil, this may improve, but I'm not totally certain. Maybe I'll ask the dealer and see what they say

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Well, I have joined the G6 ranks. I now own a G6 GTP coupe/6 MT in Crimson Red. The Grand Am is history. I will post pics soon. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
My War Bird is 6 Speeed ;)

carsuperfreak said:
I've also noticed that going into 2nd sometimes takes quite a bit more effort than it should, and most especially when it is cold. I am curious as to the viscosity of the gear oil may influence this. By switching to a synthetic type oil, this may improve, but I'm not totally certain. Maybe I'll ask the dealer and see what they say
A few 6 speed have been having this issue, take it into the dealer its a simple cable adjustment. my Buddy is a GM Tech and he has done a few already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got an 07 GTP 6spd. Too bad the tap shifter had a fault and i can't do the manual stuff any more. :(
I figure no big deal, its not really a manual anyways. Faux-manual at best.

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
Throttle you do not have a manual. Your car is a shiftable automatic.

Not a GTP owner here... GT owner!

-'07
-GT
-sedan
-f40 - 6 speed manual
-factory dual exhaust....can someone please tell me if that's cuz I got a manual or what? Never seen dual exhaust on anything other than GTP/GXP

·
Registered
20 Posts
Throttle you do not have a manual. Your car is a shiftable automatic.

Not a GTP owner here... GT owner!

-'07
-GT
-sedan
-f40 - 6 speed manual
-factory dual exhaust....can someone please tell me if that's cuz I got a manual or what? Never seen dual exhaust on anything other than GTP/GXP
I know what kind of car i have and what transmission package it has. GM marketed the 6spd as a manual transmission. GTP thank you very much. :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts